This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8885 / 55°53'18"N
Longitude: -2.9965 / 2°59'47"W
OS Eastings: 337767
OS Northings: 666604
OS Grid: NT377666
Mapcode National: GBR 70JB.1Z
Mapcode Global: WH7V6.Y883
Plus Code: 9C7VV2Q3+C9
Entry Name: Fordel Mains
Listing Name: Fordel Mains Farmhouse Including Walled Garden
Listing Date: 24 March 2000
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 394344
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB46962
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Midlothian East
Traditional County: Midlothian
Circa 1830. 2-storey; 3-bay farmhouse; later wing set back to NW. Tooled sandstone rubble. Raised ashlar surrounds to openings; raised long and short ashlar quoins to all angles apart from NW wing.
NE (FRONT) ELEVATION: central panelled door with 8-pane fanlight; flanking windows. Window centred above door; 1st floor flanking windows. Advanced gabled bay to left; 2-storey, 2-bay piended later wing set back to right.
SE ELEVATION: 2 ground floor windows, smaller window to left; timbered lower half. 1st floor obscured by vegetation.
SW (REAR) ELEVATION: small single storey addition to right gable with window; off centre window at 1st floor. Projecting gabled bay housing staircase to left; central stair window. Larger projecting gabled bay to left, raggles of earlier addition visible; 1st floor window and large horizontal ground floor window to right return; single storey addition with catslide roof and window; door in left return. 1st floor window and large horizontal ground floor window to left of addition. 1st floor window and large ground floor window in NW wing.
NW ELEVATION: plain gable
Predominantly 12-pane timber sash and case windows. Grey slate gabled roof; raised skews; lead ridge. Purple slate to NW piended wing; rooflight in NW elevation. 2 corniced ridge stacks with bases to principal elevation; ridge and apex rough harled stacks to NW wing. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: original period features removed. 1950's replacement fireplaces remain.
WALLED GARDEN: adjoins NW wing; sandstone rubble walls; some brick infill to N; rounded coping stones; plain timber doors, simple stone sheds at S corner. NW wall forms rear wall to farm building.
Part of the Fordel Estate. A product of the late 18th - early 19th century drive for improvements in agricultural techniques and the housing of tenant farmers and workers. The house is plainly detailed, but substantial and well-designed.
Other nearby listed buildings