This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8716 / 55°52'17"N
Longitude: -3.0788 / 3°4'43"W
OS Eastings: 332592
OS Northings: 664797
OS Grid: NT325647
Mapcode National: GBR 60YK.71
Mapcode Global: WH6T1.PP33
Entry Name: Lothianbridge, Craigesk House Including Boundary Wall and Entrance Gates
Listing Date: 24 March 2000
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 394352
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB46966
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Midlothian South
Traditional County: Midlothian
Earlier 19th century with later alterations. 2-storey; 3-bay square-plan house with further storeys and bays to NW elevation by river bank. Coursed sandstone ashlar; base, band and eaves courses; cornice. Raised surrounds to windows; moulded brackets to most window cills.
SE (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: recessed central bay; panelled 2-leaf door; flanking windows; advanced columned porch with stone cornice and decorative balustrade. 2 windows above porch. Advanced flat-roofed projecting fenestration bay to left; mullioned tripartite ground floor window; mullioned bipartite 1st floor window. Bay to far right; slightly advanced; round-headed, mullioned tripartite ground floor windows; single window above.
NE ELEVATION: symmetrical 3-bays; projecting central bay with round-headed, mullioned, bipartite ground floor window; single window above; ground floor window to left bay; 1st floor window centred above; door and modern conservatory to right bay; single 1st floor window.
NW ELEVATION: partially seen, 1999. 5-bays; varying storeys following slope of river bank. Round-headed mullioned, bipartite ground floor window; single window above to outer left bay. Recessed bay to right; external stairs lead from ground to door; round-headed mullioned, tripartite window at 1st floor. Recessed bay to right; 4-storeys; door in lower storey; single window at 1st, 2nd and 3rd floors. 2 further bays to right with windows.
SW ELEVATION: partially seen, 1999. Advanced 2-storey fenestration bay to right; mullioned bow windows at each storey. Single window at 1st floor to left; glazed patio area below with ball finials to wall. Bay to left; sloping roof below wallhead; wallhead chimney.
INTERIOR: not seen, 1999.
Variety of glazing patterns in timber sash and case windows. Piended
slate roof surmounted by weathervane; numerous corniced stacks with octagonal cans. Gas lamp by entrance dated 1913; similar lamp attached to E corner of house.
BOUNDARY WALL AND ENTRANCE GATES: single gatepier in driveway near lodge; sandstone pier; corniced coping stone. Large rubble wall; flat ashlar coping continues from entrance drive to gatepier north eastwards, turning N by Newbattle Viaduct with central arched entrance; brick voussiors; sandstone keystone; double timber gates; flanking chamfered piers and pyramidal coping stones; single timber door to left.
Craigesk House appears on the 1st Edition OS Map in the same plan form as at present, 1999. James Craig began papermaking in Balerno, Midlothian in 1812 and moved to Lothianbridge in 1820. When James died in 1841, his son Robert continued production under the name of Robert Craig & Co. The Mill had a national reputation and by 1870 it employed 300 people, many were housed in the cottages (now demolished) adjacent to The Sun Inn. The family and company moved to Moffat and Caldercruix in 1890. Craigesk was the family home, built alongside the River South Esk and overlooking the mill which is now largely demolished. 2 stained glass windows dedicated to Margaret Craig and 2 marble tablets remembering Margaret and James Craig were given to Newbattle Parish Church by their family.
Other nearby listed buildings