This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.9434 / 55°56'36"N
Longitude: -3.2018 / 3°12'6"W
OS Eastings: 325037
OS Northings: 672911
OS Grid: NT250729
Mapcode National: GBR 8LJ.YY
Mapcode Global: WH6SL.SWJ3
Plus Code: 9C7RWQVX+97
Entry Name: Home For Sisters Of Charity, 26, 28 Glen Street, Edinburgh
Listing Name: 22-30 (Even Nos) Glen Street, Former Sisters' House, School and Hall
Listing Date: 14 December 1970
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 394406
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB47027
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: City Centre
Traditional County: Midlothian
Sir Robert Rowand Anderson, 1874-7. Former Sisters' House, school and hall (converted to flats and offices, 1985).
FORMER SISTERS' HOUSE: tall, narrow 3-bay, 3-storey house with attic and basement. Squared and snecked yellow sandstone with ashlar dressings. Chamfered reveals to all openings. Entrance in right bay in shoulder-arched surround with small rectangular window above, under pointed-arched hoodmould (label stops left in block). 2-light stone-mullioned and -transomed window in left bay at ground floor; stone-transomed window in centre bay. 2nd and 3rd floors regularly fenestrated. Windows in shoulder-arched surrounds with decoratively carved gableheads breaking eaves in each bay at attic level.
Small-pane glazing pattern at ground, later timber sash and case windows above. Grey slates. Stone skews. Bevelled and corniced ashlar stacks with circular cans.
FORMER SCHOOL AND HALL: 2-storey and basement (4-storeys to rear), 5-bay building. Squared and snecked stugged sandstone (coursed rubble to rear) with ashlar dressings. Chamfered reveals to all openings.
E (GLEN STREET) ELEVATION: moulded cill course at 1st floor. Round-arched opening (glazed) in 2 outer left bays at ground. Glazed door in shoulder-arched opening in 3rd bay from left at ground, with 3-light stone-mullioned window above; 3, 6-light stone-mullioned windows in shoulder-arched surrounds with small rectangular windows above under pointed-arched hoodmoulded relieving arches at 1st floor; hooded dormers to attic above. Projecting bay to right with wide chamfered corner at left, corbelled out at attic level; 2-leaf timber panelled door in stop-chamfered surround under pointed-arched hoodmoulded relieving arch off-set to left; small 2-light stone-mullioned window at 1st floor above door; stepped 2-light stone-mullioned and transomed window in shoulder-arched surrounds with trefoil window above under hoodmoulded stone relieving arch at 2nd floor. Narrow 3-storey and attic bay to outer right; window in shoulder-arched surround at ground, 2-light stone-mullioned windows at 1st and 2nd, and hooded dormer to attic.
W (REAR) ELEVATION: access through segmental-arched pend from front basement. Segmental-arched window to right of pend exit; 3-light stone-mullioned window above at 1st floor; 2-light stone-mullioned window to left bay at 2nd floor; 2-light stone-mullioned window at 3rd and 2-light stone-mullioned window in dormer breaking eaves above; 8-light stone-mullioned and -transomed window lighting 2nd and 3rd floor to right. Projecting bay to right with 2 small windows to ground, 3-light stone-mullioned window and single windows on returns to 1st, 3-light stone-mullioned window to 2nd and single window to 3rd floor.
Some original glazing, with small panes above and larger panes below in timber sash and case windows; remainder modern, pivoting. Grey slates.
B group comprises St Michael and All Saints Church, Brougham Street and Panmure Place, former Parsonage House, 26 Brougham Street, and 22-30 Glen Street, former Sisters' House and School, all designed by Rowand Anderson.
The foundation stone of the 'Home for Sisters of Charity' was laid in 1874; that of the''new school and public hall' in 1877. The school was on the ground floor of Nos 22 and 24 Glen Street, with a hall and gallery capable of 'accommodating 500-600 people,' designed 'to meet the growing needs of the neighbourhood,' on the 1st floor.
Other nearby listed buildings