This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.0292 / 57°1'45"N
Longitude: -2.6754 / 2°40'31"W
OS Eastings: 359102
OS Northings: 793328
OS Grid: NO591933
Mapcode National: GBR WW.C0ZP
Mapcode Global: WH7NR.WL65
Plus Code: 9C9V28HF+MV
Entry Name: Home Farm, Finzean House
Listing Name: Finzean Policies, Home Farm Steading
Listing Date: 30 March 2000
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 394499
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB47111
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Banchory and Mid Deeside
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
Later 18th century. 2-storey, 9-bay, courtyard-plan classical home farm and stables. Harled with finely finished granite margins. Base course; dividing band course; eaves course; strip quoins.
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical; pedimented bay with round-arched pend to courtyard, flanked to left and right by round-arched niches at ground floor, and blind windows to 1st floor, oculus set in centre of pediment; regular fenestration to ground and 1st floors of 3 flanking bays to left and right; bays to outer left and right slightly advanced with eaves blocking course stepped-up to centre, 2-leaf sliding doors to broad openings with boarded round arched tympana.
E, N AND W ELEVATIONS: irregularly placed boarded timber doors; irregular boarded and infilled window openings.
COURTYARD ELEVATIONS: coursed granite rubble; infilled segmental-arched openings to W, remainder irregular boarded doorways, windows and infilled openings.
Predominantly 12-pane and 6-pane timber windows. Modern felt piended roof to S; lean-to corrugated roof to remainder. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: 1st floor removed to S block; remainder not seen 1999.
Finzean, meaning "the fair place" (3rd SA, p418) was originally an ecclesiastical parish within Birse Parish, but is now part of Birse. In 1609 the lands of Finzean were acquired by the Farquharson family (Joseph Farquharson, the famous 19th century Scottish painter was a descendant), who had previously been the proprietors of Tilygarmond, on the estate. The original mansion house (much of which was burnt down in 1954) was built in 1686. Despite the replacement of the roofs, the home farm is a grand classical structure, retaining much of its original detailing, described by Dinnie as "an excellent and large steading of offices" (p118), built by Archibald Farquharson.