This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 56.0366 / 56°2'11"N
Longitude: -5.4325 / 5°25'57"W
OS Eastings: 186261
OS Northings: 687949
OS Grid: NR862879
Mapcode National: GBR DDZR.LCD
Mapcode Global: WH0JB.JJ9M
Plus Code: 9C8P2HP8+JX
Entry Name: The Comm Public House, Lochnell Street, Lochgilphead
Listing Name: Lochnell Street, the Comm Public House
Listing Date: 4 May 2000
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 394515
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB47130
Building Class: Cultural
County: Argyll and Bute
Electoral Ward: Mid Argyll
Traditional County: Argyllshire
Probably early 19th century in origin; refurbished 1945-46 with later alterations. 3-storey, 2-bay block forming part of terrace with public house at ground. Painted render. Base course; corniced shopfront with fluted pilasters to outer left and right and dividing bays.
SW (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: public house at ground with single window off-set to left of centre; larger windows flanking; timber panelled door to outer right. Single windows at
NE (REAR) ELEVATION: not seen 1999.
Modern windows to front; rooflights. Grey sate roof. Corniced sandstone ridge stacks; various cans.
INTERIOR: public house comprising corridor to right with timber panelled dado; multi-pane doors. Public Bar with timber panelled dado; curved timber bar with fluted pilasters and console-bracketed top; mirrored display selves behind with back-lit panels above; brick-built fireplace with brick canopy; mirror above; enclosed dart board to left; timber benches abutting walls. Smoke Room with timber panelled dado; small, stepped fire surround with mirror above; timber benches abutting walls; original tables. Lounge at rear with timber panelled dado; large, brick-built fireplace with brick canopy. Timber benches lining walls with curvilinear partitions between;
original tables. Sliding timber door to male toilets with plaque inscribed 'Gents Lavatory - Slide it Chum'; original handle.
A relatively plain 3-storey block, listed primarily because of its well-detailed public house (still in use as such 1999). Refurbished in 1945-46, the quality of this detailing, the majority of which remains intact, is unusually high - the bar, dado panelling and back-lit panels being particularly good.
Other nearby listed buildings