This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.4687 / 55°28'7"N
Longitude: -4.6291 / 4°37'44"W
OS Eastings: 233902
OS Northings: 622575
OS Grid: NS339225
Mapcode National: GBR 39.XJRT
Mapcode Global: WH2PP.VSVZ
Plus Code: 9C7QF99C+F9
Entry Name: Unionist Club, 2-4 New Road, Ayr
Listing Name: 2, 4 New Road and 1 Weaver Street Including Boundary Wall
Listing Date: 29 March 1999
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 394594
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB47219
Building Class: Cultural
County: South Ayrshire
Electoral Ward: Ayr North
Traditional County: Ayrshire
James A Morris & JK Hunter, 1891. 3-storey, 8-bay former Unionist Club on corner-site. Sandstone rubble. Base course; 1st floor band course; timber bracketed eaves (to SW elevation); slightly raised window margins.
NW (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: grouped 2-4-2. Central round-arched entrance to 4-bay section; 2-leaf timber door to left; painted segmental-headed pediment; glazed brick to right; multi-paned glazing above and to split fanlight; sunken circular panels flanking; 2 single windows flanking at ground floor; 4 deep windows at 1st floor. Corniced entrance to left to 2-bay section to outer left; 2-leaf timber door; partly infilled multi-paned letterbox fanlight; single window to right; 2 pairs of bipartite windows at 1st floor; roundel beneath eaves to right; section rises to form corniced parapet; bipartite window to 2nd floor. Regular fenestration to all floors of 2-bay section to outer right; rises at 2nd floor to form gablehead.
SW (SIDE) ELEVATION: 3-bay. Central canted window at ground; plaque to left (see Notes); 3 single corniced windows at 1st floor; central tripartite window at 2nd floor, breaking eaves to form timber gable.
Predominantly split lower pane and 6-pane upper sashes to timber sash and case windows. Grey slate roof; stone skews; roll-moulded skewputts; gablehead and wallhead stacks.
INTERIOR: not seen 1998.
BOUNDARY WALL: low coped boundary wall to SW elevation (modern railings surmounting).
Former Unionist Club. Plaque to SW elevation reads "Erected AD 1891. This memorial stone was unveiled the 23rd day of October in the same year by the right honourable Lord Halsbury, Lord High Chancellor of Great Britain".
Other nearby listed buildings