This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.7035 / 56°42'12"N
Longitude: -3.7273 / 3°43'38"W
OS Eastings: 294339
OS Northings: 758201
OS Grid: NN943582
Mapcode National: GBR KC50.1CP
Mapcode Global: WH5MJ.QR9W
Plus Code: 9C8RP73F+C3
Entry Name: Higher Oakfield, Knockendarroch House Hotel
Listing Date: 20 December 2000
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 394875
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB47519
Building Class: Cultural
County: Perth and Kinross
Electoral Ward: Highland
Traditional County: Perthshire
Dated 1880; extended 1998. 2-storey, 3-bay, piend-roofed house with 3-stage pavilion-roofed Baronial entrance tower. Squared and snecked rubble with stugged ashlar dressings. Raked base course, moulded dividing courses and mutuled eaves cornice. Segmental- and round-headed openings. Stop-chamfered arrises and stone transoms and mullions.
W (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical. Advanced tower to centre bay with broad bipartite window with leaded and coloured glass at 1st stage, dividing course above encompassing carved panel at 2nd stage with further bipartite window, 3rd stage carved panel as above but dated '1880' giving way to round-headed window with flanking nookshafts on moulded brackets breaking eaves into finialled pedimented dormerhead with circular detail on tympanum. Return to right with 2 steps up to round-headed, pedimented doorcase, flanking stylised stiff-leafed capitals giving way to diamond-pattern moulding and bolection finial, and segmental-headed 2-leaf panelled timber door, single window to each stage, that to 3rd stage detailed as above. Return to left with coloured leaded glazing to bipartite window at 1st stage, blinded window to 2nd stage and blocked window to 3rd detailed as above. Outer bays each with bipartite window to both floors.
S ELEVATION: 5-bay elevation. Tripartite window in bay to left at ground and 4-light canted window with moulded windowhead to outer left, bipartite window to each bay at 1st floor, and 2 flat-roofed dormer windows above. Lower projecting timber wing (1998) on stone base to right, with single window to centre and flanking bipartite windows to each floor, all behind 4 columns supporting deep overhang and verandah with ironwork railings.
E (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: timber door to right of centre with window beyond to right and bipartite window to left, regular fenestration to 1st floor, and lower timber wing to left with 2 windows to each floor, detailed as above.
N ELEVATION: 5-bay elevation with canted window (as SE elevation) to outer right at ground and bipartite window above; each floor with single windows to 2 bays immediately to left, bipartite window in penultimate bay to left and further single window beyond.
INNER COURTYARD: small courtyard accessed from door to NE, with variety of elements including 4-light transomed stair window with leaded and coloured glass.
2-pane upper sashes over plate glass lower glazing pattern, plate glass glazing to canted windows, and margined to 3rd stage of tower, all in timber sash and case windows. Horizontal-pane glazing patterns to timber wing. Grey slates, fishscale pattern to tower. Shouldered and coped ashlar stacks with some cans; cast-iron downpipes with decorative rainwater hoppers.
INTERIOR: not seen 2000, but with decorative plasterwork cornicing and some marble fireplaces.
The grounds of Knockendarroch housed the original Pitlochry Theatre. Dean of Guild warrants were issued as above for erection of temporary theatre premises. The 1889-90 Valuation Rolls record John Humphrey's Trustees per J & H Mitchell as proprietor, with Mrs Margaret Humphrey as occupier of Knockandarroch (sic).
Other nearby listed buildings