This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 56.6999 / 56°41'59"N
Longitude: -3.7271 / 3°43'37"W
OS Eastings: 294339
OS Northings: 757798
OS Grid: NN943577
Mapcode National: GBR KC50.FFC
Mapcode Global: WH5MJ.QVCN
Plus Code: 9C8RM7XF+X5
Entry Name: Dundarach Hotel, Perth Road
Listing Name: Perth Road, Dundarach Hotel with Ancillary Building and Gatepiers
Listing Date: 20 December 2000
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 394890
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB47533
Building Class: Cultural
County: Perth and Kinross
Electoral Ward: Highland
Traditional County: Perthshire
1866; minor alterations circa 1910 probably by John Leonard, converted to hotel 1994. Single and 2-storey, 6-bay gabled house with 4-stage pavilion-roofed tower, fretwork bargeboarding and delicate cast-iron brattishing. Squared and snecked rubble with ashlar dressings. Rock-faced, raked base course, string course, stepped at intervals Pointed- and segmental-headed openings. Corbels; chamfered reveals; stone mullions.
NW (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: tower (see below) in penultimate bay to left with flat-roofed single storey conservatory-type extension projecting to right and obscuring wide centre tripartite window below gabled bay with raised centre tripartite stair window; stone porch in re-entrant angle to left infilled with modern doors and further blocked pointed-arch opening on return to left, all with brattished slate roof below single dormerheaded window. Advanced wing to right of centre with M-gable to left, 1st floor with tiny paired window to centre and flanking single windows, flat-roofed extension projecting to ground left, and gabled extension with door and narrow light to ground right; return to left with 2 dormerheaded windows over later conservatory (see above). 3 bays beyond to right with flat-roofed extension at ground and 3 dormerheaded windows at 1st floor.
TOWER: advanced tower, engaged at 1st and 2nd stages, in penultimate bay to left of NW elevation. 1st stage with moulded pointed-arch opening over bipartite window with central cushion-capitalled nookshaft and blind panel on tympanum; stepped string course above incorporating corbelled base of wide-centred 3-light oriel window with attenuated slated polygonal roof at 2nd stage. 3rd stage with 3 narrow lights to NW, corbelled base of spired small polygonal tower with roundel projecting to SW, base of corbelled stepped stack to NE and roof pitch to SE. Deep corbel table giving way to 4th stage with bellcast roof, small jerkinheaded dormer window to NW, almost full-height finialled spire of engaged polygonal tower to SW, and broad stack to NE. Pavilion roof crowned with decorative cast-iron brattishing and finials.
SE ELEVATION: 4 advanced bays to right with wide centre canted 3-light window to outer right, corbelled over outer angles to bipartite window at 1st floor and carved panel in gablehead; flat-roofed single storey extension across 3 bays to left with bipartite window to 1st floor of gabled bay as that to right, and 2 small dormerheaded windows at centre. Recessed bays to left over steeply falling ground with raised basement, wide centre tripartite window with relieving arch off-centre left, and narrow light to right, 2 dormerheaded windows to 1st floor with further narrow light to right.
NE ELEVATION: gabled bay with single storey flat-roofed extension projecting to right of centre, and small corbelled oriel window with nookshafts at 1st floor; slightly advanced gable to left of centre with hoodmoulded pointed-arch bipartite window at ground, single window above and shielded panel in gablehead.
SW ELEVATION: variety of elements to irregular elevation including deeply recessed gable to centre partly obscured by broad gabled bay to right on ground falling steeply to right forming raised basement with boarded timber door to centre, window to right at ground floor and pointed arch to left leading to loggia with further arch on return to left, and 2 further windows to 1st floor.
4-pane and plate glass glazing patterns in timber sash and case windows; coloured glass to stair window (see below). Grey slates. Grouped polygonal ashlar stacks. Overhanging eaves with fretwork bargeboarding, decorative cast-iron finials and brattishing; cast-iron downpipes with decorative rainwater hoppers and fixings.
INTERIOR: good decorative scheme in place including decorative plasterwork cornicing, stylised door architraves (see Notes) and timber dog-leg staircase with elaborate newel finials and balusters. Coloured and leaded glazing with crest and wording 'MON ROY MON LOY MON DOY' to stair window.
ANCILLARY BUILDING: rectangular-plan, piended and slated, rubble ancillary (former billiard room?) with segmental-headed bipartite window breaking eaves into dormerhead to NW, timber door to SW, tall shouldered chimney stack to SE, and finialled, piended lantern with 4 lights to each elevation at roof apex.
GATEPIERS: coped ashlar polygonal gatepiers.
Dundarach was built for a family of wine importers. The 1910 alterations are credited to local architect John Leonard on stylistic grounds as he is the architect of the Torrdarach Hotel in Golf Course Road with identical door architraves. In 1901 Dundarroch (sic) Villa and Lodge were owned by Mrs Jessie Renny of nearby Fasganeoin, and the occupier was Mrs Harriet Stirling Stewart, but by 1905 had been taken over by John Henry Dixon.
Other nearby listed buildings