This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.6976 / 56°41'51"N
Longitude: -3.7303 / 3°43'49"W
OS Eastings: 294139
OS Northings: 757542
OS Grid: NN941575
Mapcode National: GBR KC40.RYS
Mapcode Global: WH5MJ.NXWG
Plus Code: 9C8RM7X9+2V
Entry Name: Fonab House, Port-Na-Craig Road
Listing Name: Port-Na-Craig Road, Fonab House, Including Ancillary Buildings, Walled Garden, Gatepiers and Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 20 December 2000
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 394894
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB47537
Building Class: Cultural
County: Perth and Kinross
Electoral Ward: Highland
Traditional County: Perthshire
Dated 1820, altered 1903. Single storey and attic, 5-bay, piend-and-platform-roofed classical house. Harled with stone margins (some droved) and ashlar doorcase. Base course, eaves cornice and stepped blocking course.
NE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: projecting centre bay with small urn-finialled stone piers flanking steps up to concave-moulded and pedimented doorcase with deep-set part-glazed panelled timber door and 3-pane letterbox fanlight, windows in flanking bays and pilastered angles beyond, slightly lower set-back outer bays each with window in recessed panel.
SW ELEVATION: 6-bay elevation (bays grouped 1-4-1). Slightly advanced broad gabled bay to centre with boarded timber door and 4-part fanlight to right and adjacent window beyond to right, blocked door to left and adjacent window beyond to left, 2 closely aligned windows in gablehead below margined roundel '1820 ROOFED 1903"; tall single storey flanking bays each with window, that to left blocked.
NW ELEVATION: gabled bay to right of centre with tall window to ground floor and further window in gablehead, lower bay to left with timber lean-to ancillary to left and tiny blocked opening to right and small pedimented dormer to set-back roof behind.
SE ELEVATION: tall gabled bay to left with window to ground and attic floor, lower slightly recessed wing to right with 3 windows.
Lying 12-pane glazing pattern to NE and gabled bay to SE, 8- and 12-pane glazing patterns elsewhere, all in timber sash and case windows; outer right bay to SW with 12-pane glazing pattern in top-opening window. Grey slates. Tall ashlar-coped, harled, polygonal stacks with full-complement of polygonal cans and overhanging eaves with plain bargeboarding to SW, NW and SE.
ANCILLARY BUILDINGS AND WALLED GARDEN: short terrace of slated rubble, lean-to, single storey ancillary buildings to NW elevation of walled garden with variety of openings, including boarded timber doors, 4-pane and plate glass glazing in timber windows, and squat ridge stacks. Snecked rubble, rectangular-plan walled garden to SE.
BOUNDARY WALLS AND GATEPIERS: 3 flat-coped, octagonal ashlar gatepiers with semicircular-coped coursed rubble quadrants and boundary walls.
Former stable block (now the Scottish Tartans Society Hall of Records) to NE is listed separately. Port-Na-Craig is the site of a ferry crossing established during the 12th century by monks of the Abbey of Coupar Angus, and remembered in the local name of 'Fonab' meaning 'abbot's land'.
Other nearby listed buildings