This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.7056 / 56°42'20"N
Longitude: -3.7346 / 3°44'4"W
OS Eastings: 293898
OS Northings: 758445
OS Grid: NN938584
Mapcode National: GBR KB4Z.XPN
Mapcode Global: WH5MJ.LQV8
Plus Code: 9C8RP748+65
Entry Name: Wellwood Hotel, West Moulin Road, Pitlochry
Listing Name: West Moulin Road, Wellwood, Including Boundary Walls and Gatepiers
Listing Date: 20 December 2000
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 394911
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB47550
Building Class: Cultural
County: Perth and Kinross
Electoral Ward: Highland
Traditional County: Perthshire
Dated 1881, extended 1950s. Large 2-storey, 3-bay Victorian house with entrance tower, fine original interior and sympathetic extension. Squared rubble with dressed quoins and margins. Moulded cornice, shouldered door with ropework moulding and round-headed windows to tower; part ropework-moulded dividing courses; corbels; stone transoms and mullions and chamfered arrises.
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: projecting gable to left of centre with slightly advanced canted 4-light window at ground corbelled to 1st floor with bipartite window and flanking canted angles further corbelled to gablehead with moulded datestone. Bays to centre and right each with single window to ground and 1st floor window breaking eaves into dormerhead.
E (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: 4-bay elevation with slightly set-back extension to outer right. Advanced, 3-stage, square entrance tower with pyramidal roof and cast-iron weathervane finial in bay to left of centre, single window to each stage, that to 3rd stage round-headed and breaking eaves into finialled dormerhead with small roundel on tympanum giving way to decorative cast-iron finial; return to left with vertically-panelled timber door and plate glass fanlight to 1st stage giving way to ropework dividing course incorporating blind panel, further window to 2nd stage and round-headed window to 3rd stage (as above). Set-back gable in bay to outer left with blinded window to each floor. Bays to right of centre each with bipartite window to ground and window with pedimented dormerhead breaking eaves to 1st floor, later small bipartite dormer window above. Elevation continues in sympathetic modern extension.
W ELEVATION: bay to right of centre with basement window at right and 4-light transomed stair window above, gabled bay to outer right with square-headed fixed window (appearing as round-headed inside, see Interior and Notes) to centre at ground and tiny window to left at 1st floor; bay to left of centre with bipartite window at ground, dormerheaded window above, and 2 lower regularly-fenestrated bays to outer left with timber panelled door and dormerheaded window breaking eaves at 1st floor.
2-pane upper over plate glass lower sashes, and plate glass glazing pattern, all in timber sash and case windows. Grey slates. Coped ashlar stacks with cans. Cast-iron downpipes and rainwater hoppers. Overhanging eaves with plain bargeboarding.
INTERIOR: good decorative scheme retained to principal ground floor rooms (1st floor not seen 2000). Decorative plasterwork cornices and ceiling roses; timber shutters. Tessellated hall floor, screen door with etched glass to flanking lights and fanlights. Ground floor rooms to S divided by broad segmental arch with sliding timber doors; room to W with keystoned marble fireplace below round-headed window with panelled soffits (see Notes) and flanking round-headed niches; room to E with keystoned marble fireplace and flanking niches with painted plasterwork-panelled soffits and roundels with diminutive masks (see Notes). Timber-balustered staircase with coloured margins to transomed window.
BOUNDARY WALLS AND GATEPIERS: coped rubble boundary walls and pyramidally-coped square-section ashlar gatepiers.
The interior detail of round-headed window over a marble fireplace is repeated at Dun-Donnachaidh, Knockard Road (listed separately) and Dundarave, Strathview Terrace, indicating the probability of a single architect. The tiny plasterwork masks also appear at Ellangowan, Lower Oakfield (listed separately), and in as putti at the above buildings. James Mitchell, solicitor, is listed as proprietor of Wellwood in 1889-90, and alterations were carried out during the 1950s for James W Mitchell, hotelier.
Other nearby listed buildings