This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 56.7485 / 56°44'54"N
Longitude: -3.5473 / 3°32'50"W
OS Eastings: 305471
OS Northings: 762941
OS Grid: NO054629
Mapcode National: GBR KBLW.KSH
Mapcode Global: WH5MF.HM1X
Plus Code: 9C8RPFX3+93
Entry Name: Kindrogan House, Enochdu
Listing Name: Enochdu, Kindrogan House Including Walled Garden and Ancillary Building
Listing Date: 5 March 2001
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 394962
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB47629
Building Class: Cultural
County: Perth and Kinross
Electoral Ward: Blairgowrie and Glens
Traditional County: Perthshire
Early 19th century incorporating earlier fabric (possibly mid 18th century) and with later additions and alterations. Substantial 2-storey, crowstepped house with courtyard to rear, crowstepped gabled dormerheads and consoled doorpiece. Harled with painted stone margins, and random rubble with large squared rubble granite quoins.
SE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical. Advanced gabled bay to centre at ground with keystoned, pilastered doorpiece, moulded scroll consoles supporting fielded blocking course and 2-leaf panelled timber door, full-width cornice above giving way to tripartite with narrow lights to returns at both floors and tiny round-headed light in stepped and finialled gablehead. Recessed flanking bays with windows to each floor, those to 1st floor with blind shield to gabled dormerheads; outer bays with window to each floor and dominant corbelled polygonal gablehead stacks.
SW ELEVATION: regularly-fenestrated 10-bay elevation with polygonal stack to gable at bay 5, and 4 taller bays to right.
NE ELEVATION: variety of elements to 6-bay elevation including gable as above to outer right and blocked window to each floor at outer left. Courtyard (see below) accessed from outer right.
NW ELEVATION: asymmetrically-fenestrated rubble elevation with variety of elements including timber door to left and projecting harled bay to outer right.
COURTYARD: variety of elements to altered service courtyard with rear of principal elevation to SE probably containing earliest fabric at centre bays, raised basement and crowstepped gablets breaking eaves. Rubble block to NW also early.
Mainly 4-, 12-, 15-pane and plate glass glazing patterns in timber sash and case windows. Graded grey slates. Coped ashlar stacks with polygonal cans; ashlar-coped skews with moulded skewputts.
INTERIOR: principal SE block retains good decorative details and later 19th century scheme including decorative plasterwork cornicing, fluted reveals and panelled shutters; architraved doorways with scroll-consoled cornices. Part-cantilevered dog-leg staircase with decorative cast-iron balusters and segmentally-arched landing; honeycomb ceiling and plain cornicing to dining room (ground right); Tudor-arched marble fireplace with fine cast-iron fireback decorated with crowns and fleur-de-lis to ground floor left.
WALLED GARDEN AND ANCILLARY BUILDING: rectangular-plan, flat-coped rubble walled garden to NE with slated rubble, symmetrical, single storey and attic, 3-bay garden house abutting to NW.
Kindrogan Estate was the property of the Keir family, passing by marriage to the Small's of nearby Dirnanean (Patrick Small Keir Esq was proprietor by 1857) and subsequently through the marriage of Jane Amelia Keir to Captain Francis Balfour of Fernie Castle in Fife to the Balfour family: Miss Katherine M Keir remained as occupier in 1901. The Balfours purchased Dirnanean in 1926, and upon the marriage of Francis to Katherine Dolby in 1930 they moved residence to that estate, letting Kindrogan to Sir George and Lady Dolby for their summer home. The Balfours returned to Kindrogan after WWII and remained until 1960 when the estate was purchased by the Forestry Commission and sold on to the current owners, the Scottish Field Studies Association, in 1963. The adjacent steading (not included in this listing) was purchased in 1994 and converted into accommodation in 1995.
Other nearby listed buildings