This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.7173 / 55°43'2"N
Longitude: -2.7425 / 2°44'32"W
OS Eastings: 353451
OS Northings: 647351
OS Grid: NT534473
Mapcode National: GBR 929B.1B
Mapcode Global: WH7W3.VK7C
Plus Code: 9C7VP785+W2
Entry Name: Barn, Wyndhead Farm, East High Street, Lauder
Listing Name: East High Street, Wyndhead Farm, Barn to North East (Parallel to East High Street) and Cart Shed Attached to Adjoining Block to South West Only
Listing Date: 5 March 2001
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 394997
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB47664
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: Leaderdale and Melrose
Traditional County: Berwickshire
Early to earlier and earlier to mid 19th century. 2-storey; 7-bay; rectangular-plan barn (early to earlier 19th century) and single storey; 5-bay; rectangular-plan cartshed with partial loft (earlier to mid 19th century) at right angles to SW (attached to adjoining single storey block, not listed). Both of whinstone rubble with rubble dressings. Segmental-headed openings with deep lintels to ground floor of cartshed. Concrete coping to skews of cartshed.
BARN: NE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: entrance (blocked) to central bay; flanking windows (blocked). Entrances (both with boarded timber doors) to 2 bays to outer right; Entrance (blocked) to 2nd bay to left; flanking windows (blocked). Central loading door (boarded timber door) to 1st floor; window to each of 3 flanking bays (those to left blocked; 2 to outer right with boarded shutters). 3 inserted rectangular openings (probably for ventilation) at regular intervals above ground floor lintel level. SW ELEVATION: obscured by single storey wings and large early 20th century addition projecting at right angles (not listed); some openings visible to central section (within large early 20th addition); 2 entrances (probably inserted) with boarded timber doors and rectangular fanlights to right; entrance with boarded timber door to outer left; window to right; 3 window openings to 1st floor. SE ELEVATION: enlarged/inserted entrance with sliding door to ground floor; loading door (with boarded timber door) to gable above. Lower height altered range (not listed) adjoins to left. NW ELEVATION: adjoins outbuildings of former farmhouse (38 East High Street).
CARTSHED: SE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: 2 large (almost full height) segmental-headed cart openings to right; 3 lower ones to left, each with window to loft above; boarded shutters to windows; remains of boarded timber doors to most cart openings. Large early 20th century addition (not listed) adjoins at right angles to right. SW ELEVATION: loading door (door missing) to loft to gable end. NW ELEVATION: not inspected (1998). NE ELEVATION: adjoins single storey range (not listed).
Windows either blocked or with boarded timber shutters. Grey slate roof to barn. Corrugated metal roof to cartshed.
The barn and cartshed are the most architecturally interesting and best preserved of the earlier farm buildings. There were 2 ranges of farm buildings on the site on the map in the Report on Parliamentary Boundaries of Scotland of 1832; one of these probably included the barn. The farm had been expanded to include the cartshed by the time of the 1859 First Edition Ordnance Survey map and also a farmhouse and a grieve's house and bothies (see separate list descriptions for 38 East High Street and 40 East High Street). The farm ranges were substantially expanded in the early 20th century.
Other nearby listed buildings