This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.7182 / 55°43'5"N
Longitude: -2.747 / 2°44'49"W
OS Eastings: 353171
OS Northings: 647449
OS Grid: NT531474
Mapcode National: GBR 928B.20
Mapcode Global: WH7W3.SJ3Q
Plus Code: 9C7VP793+76
Entry Name: 9 Factor's Park, Lauder
Listing Name: 7 and 9 Factor's Park
Listing Date: 5 March 2001
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 394999
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB47665
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: Leaderdale and Melrose
Traditional County: Berwickshire
Later 19th century. Pair of single storey cottages, probably originally schoolhouse and schoolmaster's cottage, adjoining at right angles to form overall L-plan. Both have gabled porches and prominent timber mullioned and transomed windows and leaded diamond pane glazing. Coursed partially snecked whinstone with sandstone/red sandstone ashlar dressings. Sandstone quoins at arrises. Red sandstone ashlar architraves to openings.
NO 7 (SCHOOLHOUSE): S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: gabled slightly projecting central bay with mullioned and transomed window; sandstone panel to gable above; mullioned and transomed window set back to each of flanking bays. Lower linking bay with small window set back to outer right adjoins No 9. W ELEVATION: gabled porch with small window projects to left of gable end; entrance with boarded timber door with strap hinges to right return. Mullion and transom window set back to right. N and E ELEVATIONS: not inspected (1998).
NO 9 (HEADMASTER'S COTTAGE): W (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: gabled porch with pendant timber finial projects to centre; entrance with boarded timber door with strap hinges; small window to right return (possibly one to left). 3-light window set back to right. 2-light window set back to left. Adjoins lower linking bay of No 7 at right angles to outer left. S ELEVATION: mullion and transom window to gable end. N and E ELEVATIONS: not inspected (1998).
Leaded diamond pane casement windows throughout. Grey slate roofs. Pair of yellow brick ridge stacks with band courses to each cottage; round cans.
INTERIORS: not inspected (1998).
An intact grouping with unusual surviving leaded diamond pane windows. Built as an infant school and cottage for schoolmaster/mistress. According to Thomson "in 1869 the infant school, which had been built and maintained by the Lauderdale family, was transferred to the Heritors. It is now (1902) incorporated with the public school. The infant schoolhouse continues to be occupied by the infants' mistress".