This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.1078 / 56°6'27"N
Longitude: -3.4521 / 3°27'7"W
OS Eastings: 309786
OS Northings: 691504
OS Grid: NT097915
Mapcode National: GBR 1Y.M4F3
Mapcode Global: WH5QK.YR92
Entry Name: Balmule Farm, Former Farmhouse
Listing Date: 23 March 2001
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 395136
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB47799
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: West Fife and Coastal Villages
Traditional County: Fife
17th century; later remodelling. Single storey and attic; 3-bay former farmhouse. Large tooled stone blocks; ashlar band course below eaves; moulded ashlar eaves course; advanced ashlar surrounds to S elevation openings; crowstepped gables; beaked skewputts.
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: central door; 2-pane fanlight. Flanking windows.
W ELEVATION: plain gable.
N ELEVATION: single window to each outer bay; 2 central doors.
E ELEVATION: door to far left; small central attic window.
Plank doors; replacement windows. Steep pitched roof; corrugated roofing. Coped W gable end stack.
INTERIOR: single room to E; hooks in ceiling. 2 rooms to W; fireplace with grate in SW room; panelled cupboard to left of fireplace. Fireplace in W gable wall of NW room. Central S elevation door leads into small entrance hall; central stairs with panelled doors lead up to attic directly opposite front door; panelled door to left. Single attic room open to roof; replacement collar-roof construction.
B-Group with Balmule. Balmule Farm is the home farm to Balmule which is situated to the SE (see separate List) and the farmhouse is possibly contemporary with Balmule tower house. Balmule is first mentioned in Ainslie's Map as Balmule Place, belonging to Robert Moody and again on an 1828 map as Balmule Place. Versions of the name Balmule are depicted on J Blaeu's maps, The Sherifdome of Fyfe, 1654 (Balmoold) and The West part of Fife, 1654 (Bamuley). Balmule Farmhouse is depicted on the 1st Edition OS Map with a central N outshot. Sir Henry Wardlaw of Balmule and Pitreavie was chamberlain to Queen Anne, Consort of James VI in 1603 and became the King's master of works. The farmhouse is redundant at present, 2000.
Other nearby listed buildings