This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.038 / 56°2'16"N
Longitude: -3.4999 / 3°29'59"W
OS Eastings: 306646
OS Northings: 683810
OS Grid: NT066838
Mapcode National: GBR 1W.RRNW
Mapcode Global: WH5QY.6HNJ
Plus Code: 9C8R2GQ2+62
Entry Name: Scottish Lime Centre Trust, 4 Rocks Road, Charlestown
Listing Name: Charlestown, 12 Rocks Road, the School House Including Boundary Wall
Listing Date: 23 March 2001
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 395142
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB47807
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Rosyth
Traditional County: Fife
Later-late 19th century. 2-storey; 3-bay; former school house. Advanced, gabled far right bay. Harled; ashlar surrounds to openings and quoins. Corniced bargeboards to gables; dormers and porch; decorative timber finials.
W (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: central door; 2-pane fanlight; advanced porch; decorative finial and pendant; chamfered timber supports on stone bases. Flanking bipartite windows; corbelled hoodmould; ashlar mullions. 1st floor windows centred above ground floor windows and door. Breaking eaves dormer window to left; 1st floor window to right; round-headed central dormer window, wholly in roof. Decorative timber pendant and finial to right gable apex.
N ELEVATION: plain gable wall; decorative timber pendant and finial in apex. Section set back to left; plain wall.
E ELEVATION: section set back to right; plain wall. Advanced section to centre and left; central gable. Central door; narrow window to right; window to left; mid floor stair window above right of door.
S ELEVATION: single ground and 1st floor window; gabled above; decorative timber pendant and finial in apex. Plain section to left.
Predominantly 4-pane timber sash and case windows. Steeply pitched slated roof. Exposed rafters at eaves. Corniced ridge stack to N and S gables.
INTERIOR: not seen, 2000.
Tall rubble wall encloses land to N, E and S, incorporating single storey structure in SE corner. Low wall runs in front of house to W.
A-Group with 1-90 Charlestown Village, exluding 36-37 and 52-55 Charlestown Village; Charlestown, Bridge of Former Elgin Railway; Charlestown, Camsie House; Charlestown Harbour; Charlestown Harbour Road, Limekilns; Charlestown Village, K6 Telephone Kiosk; Charlestown Village, The Queen's Hall; Charlestown, 8, 10, 14, The Sutlery, 16, 18 Rocks Road; Charlestown, Rocks Road, Former Estate Workshop and Charlestown, Rocks Road, Old School. Charlestown village was built by Charles, 5th Earl of Elgin who exploited the nearby deposits of coal and limestone to create an extensive industry which involved the establishment of the largest limeworks in Scotland, a foundry, brick works, the export of coal and coke, the necessary transport for the materials which included wagonways and the harbour and accommodation for the workers. Construction of the village commenced in 1756 and was complimented by associated structures such as the sutlery, school and The Queen's Hall. The school, which is situated in front of the school house, was built in 1768 and was run by the estate and funded by the deductions taken from the men's wages. The school master's house was a later addition to the village. The school closed in 1968 when pupil numbers became too low and the house is now the home of the The Scottish Lime Centre Trust. The trust promotes the use of lime for the repair of historic buildings.
Other nearby listed buildings