History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

19-24 (Inclusive Numbers) Charlestown Village, (North Row)

A Category B Listed Building in Rosyth, Fife

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.0372 / 56°2'14"N

Longitude: -3.4981 / 3°29'53"W

OS Eastings: 306756

OS Northings: 683717

OS Grid: NT067837

Mapcode National: GBR 1X.RL2J

Mapcode Global: WH5QY.7JH4

Entry Name: 19-24 (Inclusive Numbers) Charlestown Village, (North Row)

Listing Date: 31 December 1971

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 395159

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB47810

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Dunfermline

County: Fife

Electoral Ward: Rosyth

Traditional County: Fife

Find accommodation in
Cairneyhill

Description

Later 18th century. Symmetrical row; 6 single storey cottages; 3-bays. Rendered sandstone; pebbledash to No 21.

S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical central door; flanking windows. Blocked up central door to 19 Charlestown Village, now a window. Heightened elevations to 23 and 24 Charlestown Village.

W ELEVATION: plain gable.

N ELEVATION: contemporary piended rear outshot to No 19; later mono-pitch extensions to rest.

E ELEVATION: window.

4-pane sash and case windows to 19, 21 and 22 Charlestown Village; 2-pane sash and case windows to 23 Charlestown Village; replacement fenestration elsewhere. Continuous piended roof; red clay pantiles with slated easing course. Flat roof to heightened section of No 23. Modern clay pantile to 24 Charlestown Village. Gable end stacks; 5 ridge stacks.

INTERIORS: not seen, 2000.

Statement of Interest

A-Group with 1-90 Charlestown Village, exluding 36-37 and 52-55 Charlestown Village; Charlestown, Bridge of Former Elgin Railway; Charlestown, Camsie House; Charlestown Harbour; Charlestown Harbour Road, Limekilns; Charlestown Village, K6 Telephone Kiosk; Charlestown Village, The Queen's Hall; Charlestown, 8, 10, 14, The Sutlery, 16, 18 Rocks Road; Charlestown, 12 Rocks Road, The Old School House; Charlestown, Rocks Road, Former Estate Workshop; Charlestown, Rocks Road, Old School. Charlestown Village was built by Charles, 5th Earl of Elgin (1732-1771) and was continued by his successors. It was built to the plan of the letter "K" and an elongated "E" (Kincardine and Elgin) and named after its founder. The Earl of Elgin exploited the nearby deposits of coal and limestone to create an industry which involved the establishment of the largest limeworks in Scotland, an iron foundry, brick works, the export of coal and coke, the necessary transport for the materials which included wagonways and the harbour and provided accommodation for the workers. Construction of the planned village commenced in 1756 at the middle stroke of the E (Double Row) with uniform workmen's cottages. By 1771, South Row, Lochaber and part of North Row had been built. The completion of North Row was the final stage in the development of the planned village. The houses were all built to the same size in sets of 6 with clay pantiles which were glazed black in colour to look like slate (some cottages retain these black tiles), and with a front or rear yard and rear kitchen extensions forming a double hipped roof to the cottages. In 1840 6 wells were placed in the village, by the 1920's water was piped to every house and in 1930 indoor lavatories were installed. Most of the cottages are now in private ownership, although some still belong to the Broomhall Estate. The planned village has survived well and its importance is enhanced by the retention of its associated structures including the Queen's Hall, shop, school, limekilns and harbour.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.