This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.946 / 55°56'45"N
Longitude: -3.2031 / 3°12'11"W
OS Eastings: 324957
OS Northings: 673199
OS Grid: NT249731
Mapcode National: GBR 8LJ.N1
Mapcode Global: WH6SL.RTW4
Plus Code: 9C7RWQWW+9Q
Entry Name: The Blue Blazer, 2-10 Spittal Street, Edinburgh
Listing Name: 2-10 (Even Nos) Spittal Street and 39-45 (Odd Nos) Bread Street
Listing Date: 29 March 2001
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 395293
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB47900
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: City Centre
Traditional County: Midlothian
1864 (dated). 3-storey bowed corner tenement block with pilastrated shops and public house to ground, 4 bays to Spittal Street, slightly recessed 3-bay bowed corner, and 5 bays to Bread Street. Droved ashlar with polished dressings. Dividing band between ground and 1st floors, cill band to 3rd; moulded eaves course. Stop-chamfered openings to ground floor; panelled aprons to 1st floor windows; projecting cills at 2nd. Depressed-arched surrounds to windows at 1st and 2nd floors on bowed corner, those to 1st moulded and aproned, with moulded linking band; that to centre with carved date panel (1864) above; bracketed cills at 1st; raised panel to eaves; inscription 'Clan Alpine Buildings' above fascia of public house.
NW (SPITTAL STREET) ELEVATION: timber panelled door to flats to centre; shop door to right flanked by windows (modern glazing); 2 small shops to left with recessed entrances. Bipartites to outer left above
S (BREAD STREET) ELEVATION: timber panelled door to flats with small-pane glazed fanlight to outer right; modern glazing to shops. Bipartites in 2nd bay from left above.
Some 4-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows. Corniced, rendered end stacks with circular cans.
Previously known as Clan Alpine Building. Licensed premises from 1867. The plan of this area more or less as built appears on Wood's 1820 map of Edinburgh. The Merchant Company had adopted William Burn's plan for the Grindlay family's Orchardfield estate in 1820. This building provides an important piece of townscape, articulating the approach to Thomas Hamilton's King's Bridge.
Other nearby listed buildings