This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.1418 / 57°8'30"N
Longitude: -2.1408 / 2°8'26"W
OS Eastings: 391575
OS Northings: 805667
OS Grid: NJ915056
Mapcode National: GBR S5D.QP
Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.2RTC
Plus Code: 9C9V4VR5+PM
Entry Name: 13 Bayview Road, Including Gatepiers and Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 5 March 2001
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 395317
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB47918
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Hazlehead/Queens Cross/Countesswells
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
Early 20th century. 2-storey and attic, 3-bay villa. Tooled coursed granite ashlar, finely finished to margins of NE elevation; coursed rubble to remainder. Rough-faced dark grey granite base course; dividing band course; string course bisecting 1st floor; eaves course; overhanging eaves; timber bargeboards.
NE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: asymmetrical; gabled bay advanced to left, 5-light canted window through ground and 1st floors surmounted by parapet, small round-arched window set in gablehead, queenpost details to gable; rectangular-plan open porch to re-entrant angle to right, supported on Tuscan columns and pilasters, round-arched doorway to ground floor of centre bay, pilastered 2-leaf panelled timber door, stained glass fanlight, stained glass windows flanking doorway to left and right, window to centre of 1st floor; 3-light rectangular dormer with dentil cornice to attic floor. 5-light canted window to ground floor of bay to right, scalloped parapet surmounted by spherical finials, bipartite window to 1st floor above.
NW AND SW ELEVATIONS: not seen 2000.
SE ELEVATION: central gablet; decorative timber-framed conservatory with coloured glass adjoining to left of ground floor, window centred to 1st floor.
Predominantly 2-pane timber sash and case windows. Grey slate roof, piended in places, with lead ridges. Corniced gablehead stack and stack breaking pitch, circular cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: not seen 2000.
GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLS: low coped rough-faced granite wall to NE, flanked to left and right by narrow gatepiers with scrolled caps, granite coped rubble walls to remainder.
From the beginning of the 19th century Aberdeen rapidly expanded westwards from Union Street. 13 Bayview Road is part of the later 19th/early 20th century development W of Queen's Cross. Bayview Road was originally part of the estate of Rubislaw. In 1877 Rubislaw Estate was bought by the City of Aberdeen Land Association, who re-aligned the road and sold off the estate in smaller plots. Streets became wider and villas with substantial gardens often replaced terraces. Prestigious architects were often employed to produce bold and unusual designs to reflect the wealth and individuality of the clients. Features of particular note include the decorative canted windows, scrolled gatepiers and conservatory (which was part of the original design).
Other nearby listed buildings