This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.786 / 55°47'9"N
Longitude: -3.936 / 3°56'9"W
OS Eastings: 278690
OS Northings: 656438
OS Grid: NS786564
Mapcode National: GBR 01YJ.NQ
Mapcode Global: WH4QR.HTXR
Plus Code: 9C7RQ3P7+9H
Entry Name: Coach House, Wishaw House
Listing Name: Wishaw, Glen Road, Belhaven Estate, the Coach House
Listing Date: 30 March 2001
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 395341
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB47942
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Motherwell and Wishaw
County: North Lanarkshire
Town: Motherwell And Wishaw
Electoral Ward: Motherwell South East and Ravenscraig
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
Mid 19th century. 2-storey, 6-bay, coach house with single storey rectangular projection to semi-enclosed main elevation, forestair leading to main entrance at 1st floor; stables and tackrooms at ground living quarters above; sandstone coursers; plain base course, dividing band between ground and 1st floor and eaves course; projected ashlar margins and quoins. Piended roof with projecting eaves.
SE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: 3-bays, symmetrical, regular fenestration; advanced 3-bay wing to right with stone forestair and single door to return; single storey outhouse to ground with sliding full-height coach house door to left and square headed door with fan light and window to left, wallhead coped chimney.
NE (REAR) ELEVATION: 5-bay, symmetrical, regular fenestration; square headed door and double stable door to left.
NE (SIDE) ELEVATION): 6-bay, symmetrical, regular fenestration blind window to centre ground first floor and far left 1st floor.
SW (SIDE) ELEVATION: symmetrical, regular fenestration.
2-pane timber sash and case windows, plain pine doors; concrete replacement roof tiles; sandstone coped chimney stacks to wallheads to SE, SW, S, E, N and main roof ridge, cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: ground floor: timber lined tackroom with iron goods, benches and presses; stables with wooden stalls and cast-iron internal structural members. 1st floor accommodation not seen 2000.
Formerly the Coach House of nearby Wishaw House seat of Lord Belhaven and Stenton; arch. James Gillespie Graham c.1850; demolished 1951. The present owners have retained the original stables and tack rooms but not used them. Living accommodation is on the first floor which was originally the estate offices and factor's lodging. Other remaining estate buildings comprise the nearby Forresters Cottage and East Gate Lodge both too altered to be listed. Also the remains of an ice-house, the piggery and the base course of Wishaw House can be found in the nearby woods.
Other nearby listed buildings