This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.7791 / 55°46'44"N
Longitude: -3.9541 / 3°57'14"W
OS Eastings: 277536
OS Northings: 655699
OS Grid: NS775556
Mapcode National: GBR 01TM.R6
Mapcode Global: WH4QY.70CJ
Plus Code: 9C7RQ2HW+J9
Entry Name: Craigneuk, 9 Glencairn Avenue, Wishaw
Listing Name: Wishaw, 9 Glencairn Avenue, Craigneuk
Listing Date: 30 March 2001
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 395342
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB47943
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Motherwell and Wishaw
County: North Lanarkshire
Town: Motherwell And Wishaw
Electoral Ward: Motherwell South East and Ravenscraig
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
Earlier to mid 19th century. Gabled, rectangular-plan, Jacobethan former gate house in style of William Burn. Paired octagonal chimney stalks to ridge and front wallhead, advanced gabled bay to centre. Yellow ashlar sandstone in narrow courses. Pointed arch openings, carved spandrels, square headed moulded reveals, stugged hoodmoulds. Square cavetto moulded panels to gableheads. Stone mullions.
S (PRINCIPAL): advanced full-height gabled bay to centre, tripartite window, small windows to left return; linked to gabled porch to right, door to centre in depressed arch opening, small window to right return; battered wallhead chimney to outer right; small window to outer left.
N (REAR) ELEVATION: small advanced gabled bay to centre; windows to left and right.
E (SIDE) ELEVATION: bipartite window to centre.
W (SIDE) ELEVATION: bipartite window to centre.
Saw-tooth coped skews, spur finials. Grey slates. Bracketted skewputts. Lead flashing, towering octagonal ashlar stacks with moulded coping, cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: not seen 2000.
Some possible connection with William Burn as he was known to then Lord Belhaven, who called upon Burn to survey Cambusnethan Parish Church in 1837. Though now on a busy main road and flanked by council housing the lodge is a remnant of the Wishaw Estate probably, according to elderly locals it was the western gatehouse. Wishaw House, James Gillespie Graham, circa 1850, was demolished in 1951 and the estate broken up. Various former estate buildings survive in the area including the Forresters Cottage, the East Lodge and the Coach House (see separate listing). The Wishaw estate extended from Wishaw the River Calder to the Clyde and the western half of Wishaw town.
Other nearby listed buildings