This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.3934 / 56°23'36"N
Longitude: -4.1202 / 4°7'12"W
OS Eastings: 269220
OS Northings: 724364
OS Grid: NN692243
Mapcode National: GBR 14.14CT
Mapcode Global: WH4MR.PK6M
Plus Code: 9C8Q9VVH+9W
Entry Name: Rose Cottage, St Fillans
Listing Name: St Fillans, Rose Cottage Including Boundary Walls and Gatepiers
Listing Date: 25 July 2001
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 395526
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48094
Building Class: Cultural
County: Perth and Kinross
Electoral Ward: Strathearn
Traditional County: Perthshire
Loch Lomond and Trossachs National Park Planning Authority
Rose Cottage is a simply, traditional single storey cottage dating from the late 18th or early 19th century, the best example of the few surviving in the village of St Fillans. The cottage faces S, situated to the rear of a long garden plot, enjoying views over Loch Earn. A building representative of the original vernacular style of the village, before tourism and the railways brought development and change.
Rose Cottage is simple rectangular plan cottage, formerly single storey with attic accommodation, the cottage is situated at the rear of a long garden plot. The S facing main (entrance) elevation takes maximum advantage of sunlight and views. To the centre is a pitch-roofed timber porch sheltering a two-leaf timber door, with flanking window openings. The remaining elevations are very plain, no openings to the rear (formerly only with a single skylight to the roof), and a single opening to the E. To the W a single storey byre has been removed, the doorway to this blocked and cement rendered. Work was being carried out at the time of the resurvey (2005) and the cottage was roofless.
Gatepiers: rubble boundary walls. Circular plan, stout, coursed rubble piers. Corniced, with domed capstones.
Materials: random sandstone and whinstone rubble; large squared rubble quoins; slab lintels to openings. Coped, squared rubble, gablehead stacks to E and W; thackstanes; 2 conical cans to each stack. Formerly with grey graded slates (Work in progress, 2005).
Rose Cottage is one of the few surviving cottages from the original village of St Fillans. The village was described in 1877 as being, 'a few very neat little one storey cottages, all with little plots in front'. This was before the railway was built, passing the village and bringing with it a new wealth and population that was responsible for the villa building that now dominates. The cottage previously had a byre to the W side, which was later converted to a kitchen, and subsequently demolished when the neighbouring Craigdarroch House was built. Drummond Estates, the former owners of Rose Cottage, had written this condition into the title deeds, becoming effective when they sold the neighbouring field for development.
Other nearby listed buildings