This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.3938 / 56°23'37"N
Longitude: -4.1215 / 4°7'17"W
OS Eastings: 269143
OS Northings: 724409
OS Grid: NN691244
Mapcode National: GBR 14.142X
Mapcode Global: WH4MR.NKL9
Plus Code: 9C8Q9VVH+GC
Entry Name: Outbuilding
Listing Name: St Fillans, Wellandura Including Outbuildings and Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 4 May 2006
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 398387
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50391
Building Class: Cultural
County: Perth and Kinross
Electoral Ward: Strathearn
Traditional County: Perthshire
Loch Lomond And Trossachs National Park Planning Authority
1872. 2-storey, L-plan, gabled villa with decorative bargeboards, deep bracketed eaves, corner turret, canted windows and decorative cast-iron finials to gables and turret. This is a compact, but well-designed villa with very good architectural detailing. It occupies a prominent position on the main road through St Fillans and makes a positive contribution to the streetscape.
L-plan villa with advanced gables to SW (principal) and SE (side) elevations, with conical-roofed stair turret at right corner of principal elevation and stone porch with timber-boarded front door in re-entrant angle. There is a 4-light canted window with slate roof to SW gable, and a bipartite window above it. Over the porch is a small oculus window; the upper part of the stair is lit by 3 staggered narrow windows. At the ground floor of the SE gable is an unusual 2-light canted window with a blind panel between the lights. The NE (rear) elevation has a gable to the right hand side, and a single-storey service outshot across the ground floor. It is irregularly fenestrated and there is a timber-boarded back door at the centre of the service outshot. The NW (side) elevation is unfenestrated except for a narrow window at the ground floor and a small dormer with very deep eaves to the roof. The house has a base course, long and short quoins, and window margins, and stop-chamfered openings. The bargeboards have pierced decoration and are supported on paired brackets. The chimney stacks are corniced and have decorative clay cans.
Interior: curved timber staircase with decorative cast-iron balusters and mahogany handrail. Timber chimneypieces and working timber shutters in 2 principal rooms. Timber panelled interior doors and cornicing throughout.
Materials: squared, snecked whinstone with cream sandstone dressings; random rubble masonry to rear. Timber sash and case windows with predominantly plate glass glazing. Graded grey slate roof.
Boundary Walls, Railings, Gatepiers and Gate: ashlar-coped random rubble boundary wall to street; decorative cast iron railings
above wall with anthemion and daisy motifs. Cast iron gatepiers; probably later wrought iron gate.
Ancillary Building: 3-door ancillary outbuilding behind house. Slate roof; timber-boarded doors; chamfered ashlar door architraves. Boathouse of circa 1930; stone with piended slate roof.
Formerly called Beaconsfield. According to the owner, the house was built in 1872, but the architect is unknown. Plans for alterations in the Drummond Estate Archives are for the garage at the side of the house, and for minor plumbing-related alterations inside, including the creation of two bathrooms. The plans are undated and unsigned, but were probably drawn up in about 1930. Although the alterations only affected a small part of the house, the plans give floor plans for the entire building.
Other nearby listed buildings