History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Holland House, Walled Garden to East

A Category C Listed Building in North Isles, Orkney Islands

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 59.3471 / 59°20'49"N

Longitude: -2.8988 / 2°53'55"W

OS Eastings: 348982

OS Northings: 1051539

OS Grid: HY489515

Mapcode National: GBR M460.W8V

Mapcode Global: XH8K9.KBB6

Entry Name: Holland House, Walled Garden to East

Listing Date: 23 July 2001

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 395529

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48096

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Papa Westray

County: Orkney Islands

Electoral Ward: North Isles

Traditional County: Orkney

Find accommodation in
Pierowall

Description

Circa 1830. Rectangular-plan walled garden with central dividing wall running E/W along long axis. Coursed rubble. Entrances to N section; that to W side and that at E end of N side with timber gates; that to E side without lintel enlarged/possibly inserted. 2 entrances to central dividing wall; that to W without lintel/possibly inserted (wall at lower height here). Blocked opening at W end of S wall (S section). N wall (N section) slightly taller/part of boundary wall with raised section with curved sides at centre, forming possible heated wall incorporating 2 raised chimneys, possibly for heating adjacent lean-to greenhouse (replacement); entrance with part glazed timber door to right return. Small lean-to chamber for heating, to N side of wall (adjoining road); entrance with timber door to left return; boarded windows to front and right returns.

Statement of Interest

B-Group with Holland House, pair of Storehouses/Bothies, Dovecot, Windmill Stump and Store and Holland Farm. A substantial intact walled garden. There is little evidence to suggest that the chimneys were operational and may only have been decorative. The Reverend Walter Traill refers to it in his description of 1841 in the New Statistical Account as having been erected about 8 or 10 years previously. The Holland estate was bought by Thomas Traill, a soldier and a member of what became a large landholding family in the Orkneys, in 1637. It remained in the possession of the Traill family (apart from a gap between 1886 and 1928) until 1952. Many of the buildings on the estate were constructed by George (VI of Holland) and his son, Thomas (VII of Holland) between the early and later 19th century. The main block of Holland House was constructed between 1810-14.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.