This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 59.3449 / 59°20'41"N
Longitude: -2.8984 / 2°53'54"W
OS Eastings: 348998
OS Northings: 1051290
OS Grid: HY489512
Mapcode National: GBR M461.2YD
Mapcode Global: XH8K9.KCHX
Plus Code: 9CFV84V2+WJ
Entry Name: Windmill, Holland Farm, Papa Westray
Listing Name: Holland, Windmill Stump and Store
Listing Date: 23 July 2001
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 395530
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48097
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Papa Westray
County: Orkney Islands
Electoral Ward: North Isles
Parish: Papa Westray
Traditional County: Orkney
1865. Turret post mill stump; harled. Single storey grain store; flagstone.
Tapered rubble tower, 2.9m high. Timber centre post in position. Flagstones cover top of stump.
E ELEVATION: central timber boarded door.
S ELEVATION: plain elevation.
W ELEVATION: central door.
N ELEVATION: plain elevation.
INTERIOR: open, empty interior.
Pitched roof; crude semi-crowstepped gables. Overseamed flagstone roof; aisins.
B-Group with Holland House, Pair of Storehouses/Bothies to NE of Holland House, Holland House Walled Garden, Walled Garden, Holland Farm and Holland Dovecot. Although situated some distance from the farm, the mill and store are part of the Holland Farm complex. The farm was once the home farm to the earlier Holland House (which was sited to the N of the current house). In 1814, as a result of the increased income from the kelp boom, George Traill built a new house beside the farm. After the collapse of the kelp boom in the 1830's, George Traill turned his attention to his farm and initiated some improvements including rebuilding much of the farm and also introducing one of the first horse-powered threshing mills in Orkney. Particular to Orkney, only a few turret post mills remain. Annotated as a corn mill on the 1st Edition OS Map, the windmill ground bere and continued in operation until early 20th century. In 1926 the timber superstructure was dismantled. A millstone lies beside the mill stump. The bere was stored in the nearby shed to the E.
Other nearby listed buildings