This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.4273 / 55°25'38"N
Longitude: -2.7844 / 2°47'3"W
OS Eastings: 350455
OS Northings: 615107
OS Grid: NT504151
Mapcode National: GBR 85ZP.Z8
Mapcode Global: WH7XG.6VC6
Plus Code: 9C7VC6G8+W6
Entry Name: 49 North Bridge Street, Hawick
Listing Name: 49 North Bridge Street
Listing Date: 2 August 2001
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 395541
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48109
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: Hawick and Hermitage
Traditional County: Roxburghshire
James Pearson Alison, circa 1899. Symmetrical, 2-storey, 3-bay block with shops to ground floor and flats above; Dutch detailing. Lightly stugged, coursed red sandstone with polished ashlar dressings. Fascia; moulded cornices at ground and 1st floors; blocking course. Doric pilasters at ground to outer left and right and flanking door at ground floor. Timber panelled door to centre with small-pane-glazed fanlight, flanked by shops with small-pane glazing above (arched to outer windows), plate glass below and recessed glazed doors. Central recessed canted window at 1st floor. Central shaped gable with scrolled pediment at apex and cartouche with monogram.
Non-traditional glazing at 1st floor of principal elevation; some 4-pane timber sash and case windows to rear. Stone skews. Corniced end stack to right with circular cans. Grey slate roof. Cast-iron downpipe.
INTERIOR: Single cast-iron column and some glazed ceramic wall and floor tiles in shop to left; timber panelling in shop to right.
B-Group comprises Nos 41, 43 & 43A, 45 & 47 and 49 North Bridge Street - see separate list entries.
A well-detailed, Dutch-inspired, late-19th-century building with good original shopfronts, forming the earliest part of an asymmetrical 5-block (all listed separately) red sandstone range designed by James Pearson Alison (1862-1932), Hawick's most prominent architect. Alison commenced practice in the town in 1888 and remained there until his death, during which period he was responsible for a large number of buildings of widely varying types and styles, including a considerable proportion of Hawick's listed structures.
This building was constructed for the Teviotdale Dairy Co Ltd (later the Honeyburn & Teviotdale Dairy Co Ltd), whose monogram features prominently in the gable cartouche, and was subsequently owned by the Buttercup Dairy Company of Easter Road, Leith. The ground drops away to the rear, affording an additional basement level where milk could be delivered in bulk for bottling on the premises and brought up to the shop via a rear staircase. The shop to the left was originally the dairy itself, and that to the right was the Superintendent's Office.
A photograph taken shortly after the building was completed, and before the remainder of the adjoining red sandstone range had been constructed, shows that the windows to the flat(s) above were originally timber sash-and-case, with small-pane glazing in the upper sashes and single- or 2-pane glazing in the lower. These survived at least until 1982, as evidenced by a photograph of that date in Historic Scotland's archives. List description revised following resurvey (2008).
Other nearby listed buildings