This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.7945 / 55°47'40"N
Longitude: -3.9963 / 3°59'46"W
OS Eastings: 274937
OS Northings: 657495
OS Grid: NS749574
Mapcode National: GBR 01JF.LN
Mapcode Global: WH4QQ.LM66
Plus Code: 9C7RQ2V3+RF
Entry Name: St Andrew's Parish Church, 344 Muir Street, Motherwell
Listing Name: Motherwell, 344 Muir Street (Formerly St Andrews Parish Church)
Listing Date: 10 December 2001
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 395708
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48313
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Motherwell and Wishaw
County: North Lanarkshire
Town: Motherwell And Wishaw
Electoral Ward: Motherwell North
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
Alexander Cullen, 1904. Rectangular-plan, asymmetrical gabled gothic church. Bell tower with caphouse to NW corner, fleche to nave. Red bull-faced, coursed squared and snecked sandstone with ashlar margins.
SW (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: 3-bay. Base course, cill height stringcourses, and eaves course. Chamfered reveals and stopped hoodmoulds to openings. Gabled nave to centre; 3 small lancets to ground, tall tripartite lancets to gallery, jettied gablehead with oculus, blocking buttresses. Stone steps to pointed arch door, centre of right bay; shouldered stringcourse to recessed panel above, inset tall lancet. Slightly advanced 4-stage square-plan bell tower to left bay; stone steps to pointed arch door, slightly projecting gabled hood to ground, blind to left return; paired lancets to 2nd stage, single lancet to return; blind 3rd stage; louvered bipartite lancets to 4th stage, corbelled and crenellated parapet; crowstep gabled caphouse, small arrowslit to gablehead.
NE (REAR) ELEVATION: brick with red ashlar sandstone margins; tripartite tall lancets to centre. Single storey, flat roof, church hall adjoining to ground.
NW (SIDE) ELEVATION: 4-bay with bell tower to outer right; set back buttresses between bays; paired square windows to ground; paired lancets to gallery.
SE (SIDE) ELEVATION: mirror of NW except shouldered gabled bay to outer left; tall, narrow lancet above small square window with continuous cill course, jettied gablehead.
INTERIOR: plain galleried interior open to hammerbeam roof.
Rectangular leaded glass. Grey slates, lead flashing. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
Ecclesiastical building still in use as such. St Andrews parish church merged with Dalziel parish church with the congregation established at Dalziel. The Calvary Evangelists now run the building as a Christian Outreach Centre. A later building by Cullen, who died in 1911, showing adherence to the Scottish National Revival style after experiments with the emerging Glasgow School such as Thornlie Manse, Wishaw (see separate listing).
Other nearby listed buildings