This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 58.4405 / 58°26'25"N
Longitude: -3.0889 / 3°5'20"W
OS Eastings: 336526
OS Northings: 950754
OS Grid: ND365507
Mapcode National: GBR L6QF.5QJ
Mapcode Global: WH6DN.J39S
Plus Code: 9CCRCWR6+5C
Entry Name: Telford Street, (Storehouse)
Listing Date: 5 February 2002
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 395835
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48410
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Wick and East Caithness
Traditional County: Caithness
Circa 1830. 2-storey, 9-bay, rectangular-plan, gabled storehouse. Blocked pend entrance. Coursed Caithness stone slabs.
N (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: blocked segmental-arched pend to 4th bay. Modern, large square windows to ground. Regular fenestration to upper storey, except blocked door to 2nd bay, blind 4th bay.
S (CURING YARD) ELEVATION: not seen 2001.
E (SIDE) ELEVATION: abutting Williamson Street terrace housing
W(SIDE) ELEVATION: blind gable end.
INTERIOR: not seen 2001.
Boarded windows. Grey slates, lead flashing. Coped stacks to gable and roof ridge. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
The A Group for Lower Pulteneytown comprises; 19-27 Bank Row (Wick Heritage Centre), The Black Stairs, The Round House, Harbour Place, Steven and Co storehouse, Harbour Quay, 6,7 Rose St, Old Fish Market, South Quay, 2 Williamson Street.
The Group listing is in recognition of the exceptional group value of these buildings as the core of Thomas Telford's 1809 scheme for the new town plan of Pulteneytown for the British Fisheries Society. For further information see separate listing for the Round House, Harbour Place.
The building materials of stone and slate, and the overall dimensions, height and length, of the storehouses that form the Lower Pulteneytown grid were drawn up by Telford as part of his overall town plan and were laid down in the BFS's Building Regulations. However, the central segmental arched pend that forms the central feature of the storehouses, where remaining, was not specified by Telford but appears to be a practical design that was widely adopted, thereby forming a local design type. The buildings are in fact complete fish processing factories rather than simply storehouses. The original standard plan was of a large gabled storehouse and offices building facing the main street and running the entire length of the feu, i.e. a whole or half block. The central archway led through the pend to a large open air flagstoned curing yard behind. The curing yard was surrounded on the remaining three sides by ancillary stores and workshops such as the salt stores, cooperage and smokeries. From the outside the continuos high walls of the yards, running round the entire block, are reminiscent of prison walls, hiding the industry within. For further information see separate listing for The Round House, Harbour Place.
Other nearby listed buildings