This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.1416 / 57°8'29"N
Longitude: -2.1135 / 2°6'48"W
OS Eastings: 393232
OS Northings: 805637
OS Grid: NJ932056
Mapcode National: GBR S98.MV
Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.HRTK
Plus Code: 9C9V4VRP+JJ
Entry Name: 1-18 Union Grove Court, Union Grove, Aberdeen
Listing Name: Union Grove at Holburn Street, 1-18 (Inclusive Numbers) Union Grove Court, Including Gatepiers and Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 7 March 2002
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 395952
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48523
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Hazlehead/Queens Cross/Countesswells
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
R G Wilson of Ellis & Wilson, 1887-88; later additions; converted to flats, Malcolm Allan, Housebuilders, 1973. 2-storey and attic, 5-bay, rectangular-plan, former church with classical and Egyptian inspired detailing. Tooled coursed granite ashlar with finely finished dressings to N and E elevations; coursed granite rubble to remainder. Dark grey rough-faced base course; ground and 1st floor cill courses; dividing band courses; eaves blocking course.
E (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical; pedimented central bays; elaborate pedimented doorpiece to centre bay of ground floor, columns and pilasters with stylised capitals support dentil moulded cornice, balustraded parapet above supporting pediment, stone steps surmounted by modern railings lead to replacement glazed timber door, tall fanlight above, flanked by glazed panels between columns and pilasters; windows to flanking bays to left and right; decorative panelled dividing band course between ground and 1st floors; elaborate pilastered and corniced tripartite window to centre bay of 1st floor, surmounted by deeply architraved half-roundel, architraved and pedimented windows to flanking bays to left and right; frieze of blind oculus below pediment; blind colonnade below pediment, flanked by pilastered pediments, roundel to centre of pediment with acroteria. Blind architraved openings to ground floor; pilastered upper floors, blind architraved oculi above with projecting cills; blind tablets set in blocking course, scrolled wallhead.
N ELEVATION: asymmetrical; 9-bay; pilastered 1st floor; regular fenestration to 6 bays to left, windows infilled below cills at 1st floor, tooled lintels; eaves cornice and blocking course, attic floor stepped-up to bay to outer left, scrolled pediment; mansard roof to attic with modern rooflights. 3 broad pilastered bays to right, doorway to left of ground floor, regular fenestration to remainder.
W ELEVATION: near-symmetrical; near-regular fenestration.
S ELEVATION: asymmetrical; 2 bays to outer left advanced; regular fenestration to ground and 1st floors; mansard roof to attic floor of six central bays, regularly placed rooflights. Large windows to ground and 1st floors of bay to outer right, attic floor stepped-up, window to centre, scrolled pediment above.
Modern timber windows. Replacement mansard slate roof with lead ridges.
INTERIOR: not seen 2001.
GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLS: square-plan gatepiers to Union Grove, corniced necks, stylise Ionic pilaster caps. Low granite walls surmounted by modern railings flanking, and retaining car park to Holburn Street.
Work began on St Nicholas Union Grove Church in 1887 for the managers of
St Nicholas Lane UP Church. The church remained in use until 1973, when the congregation united with the West Church of St Andrew (renamed the Langstane Kirk). Much of the contents of the church moved with the congregation. The principal elevation of the church is highly unusual, its classical and Egyptian inspired forms being reminiscent of Alexander Thomson and J B Pirie. The link with Thomson is not surprising, as R G Wilson had worked for Thomson in Glasgow. A photograph by George Washington Wilson shows St Nicholas Union Grove Church with gas lamps on the steps, and the original railings (which were removed during the Second World War), (Leith, p105). The church originally had a pedimented block to the W on Union Grove (now demolished).
Other nearby listed buildings