This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.9477 / 55°56'51"N
Longitude: -4.3185 / 4°19'6"W
OS Eastings: 255316
OS Northings: 675170
OS Grid: NS553751
Mapcode National: GBR 0X.Y7TR
Mapcode Global: WH3NN.MRSS
Plus Code: 9C7QWMXJ+3J
Entry Name: Woodlands & Gates & Gatepiers, 133 Mugdock Road, Milngavie
Listing Name: 133 Mugdock Road, Woodlands Including Ancillary Buildings, Boundary Walls, Gatepiers and Gates
Listing Date: 25 April 2002
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 396026
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48606
Building Class: Cultural
County: East Dunbartonshire
Electoral Ward: Milngavie
Traditional County: Stirlingshire
J T Rochead of Glasgow, 1850; totally renovated 1963, timber conservatory 1983; ancillary building 1930. 2-storey, 4-bay, L-plan Scots-Tudor house with conical-roofed stair tower and crowsteps. Squared and snecked bull-faced rubble with some Aberdeen bond and droved quoins. Base and eaves courses. Stone and timber mullions.
W (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: stepped elevation with shoulder-arched doorway and timber door in bay to right of centre, moulded panel above with lantern and narrow light giving way to gablehead with relief carved
crowned head, arrowslit and large decoratively-astragalled window on return to right at ground with small window above to left of gablehead with relief carved tonsured head; 2 windows to stair tower in re-entrant angle immediately to left and projecting gable to outer left with rectangular-plan bipartite at ground and smaller bipartite above; set-back bay to outer right with altered timber bipartite window at ground and further window over breaking eaves into crowstepped dormerhead.
N ELEVATION: gabled bay to left with bipartite window to each floor and large canted window with stone roof to right, small window abutting eaves at centre.
E (REAR) ELEVATION: altered elevation with window to 1st floor of gabled bay at centre, bipartite to right at ground and small horizontal bipartite close to eaves above. Lower 2-storey crowstepped extension projecting at left.
S ELEVATION: gabled bay to left with altered window at ground and conservatory to right.
Mostly small-pane glazing patterns, some horizontal, multi-pane leaded glazing to tower, all in timber sash and case windows. Graded grey slates to conical roof, mixed to main roof. Coped and banded ashlar stacks; ashlar-coped skews with moulded skewputts.
INTERIOR: some decorative cornicing and panelled timber shutters. Stone staircase; carved timber fireplace and architraved wall cupboards.
ANCILLARY BUILDINGS: crowstepped, rectangular-plan ancillary with 2-leaf timber door to N and coped ashlar stack with can. Further crowstepped 1930 ancillary with broad part-glazed timber garage door to S.
BOUNDARY WALLS, GATEPIERS AND GATES: flat-coped rubble boundary walls; slender square-section gatepiers and ironwork gates.
J T Rochead is perhaps best known for the Wallace Monument, Stirling together with a variety of churches, banks and commercial buildings.
Other nearby listed buildings