History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Mugdock Cottage (Former Glasgow Corporation Water Works), Mugdock Reservoir

A Category C Listed Building in Milngavie, East Dunbartonshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.9507 / 55°57'2"N

Longitude: -4.3099 / 4°18'35"W

OS Eastings: 255859

OS Northings: 675487

OS Grid: NS558754

Mapcode National: GBR 0X.Y3QH

Mapcode Global: WH3NN.RPVG

Plus Code: 9C7QXM2R+72

Entry Name: Mugdock Cottage (Former Glasgow Corporation Water Works), Mugdock Reservoir

Listing Name: Mugdock Reservoir, Mugdock Cottage (Former Glasgow Corporation Water Works)

Listing Date: 8 December 2008

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 400132

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB51275

Building Class: Cultural

Location: New Kilpatrick

County: East Dunbartonshire

Electoral Ward: Milngavie

Parish: New Kilpatrick

Traditional County: Stirlingshire

Find accommodation in
Strathblane

Description

Circa 1870 with circa 1890 addition and 20th century additions and alterations. Single storey and attic, 3-bay gabled cottage with steeply-pitched roof, gabled porch, 2-storey addition to right and lower outshots to rear forming U-plan. Squared, snecked, stugged sandstone with ashlar dressings. Base course; fairly regular fenestration with projecting cills.

FURTHER DESCRIPTION: 2-leaf timber panelled front door with fanlight in pointed-arch doorway to central gabled porch; flanking windows. 1890s extension slightly advanced to right with canted window at ground and basket-arched stone-mullioned bipartite above; 2 basket-arched windows to side return. Gabled outshots to rear with fairly regular fenestration. Entrance porch and dormer to N (side) elevation. Large 20th century additions to rear incorporating fabric of original outbuildings at ground.

8-pane glazing in timber windows to original cottage (most 20th century replacements); plate glass in timber sash and case windows to 1890 extension. Corniced central ridge stack with clustered chimneys to original cottage; some plainer stacks to rear. Grey slate roof. Plain bargeboards.

INTERIOR: encaustic tiled floor to original entrance lobby. Good timber-panelled interior doors and shutters. House subdivided and floor plan altered.

Statement of Interest

A-Group with Mugdock and Craigmaddie Reservoirs, Barrachan, Craigholm and North Lodge (also known as Craigmaddie Lodge).

A good, well-detailed cottage probably built for the reservoir superintendent and occupying a prominent position at the heart of the site. The cottage has historic importance as part of the Glasgow Corporation Water Works (see below) and makes a positive contribution to the Conservation Area around these important reservoirs.

Mugdock reservoir was opened in 1860 as part of the first phase of the Glasgow Corporation Water Works that brought water down from Loch Katrine. Craigmaddie reservoir, which is immediately adjacent (though entirely separate) from Mugdock, opened in 1897 as part of the duplication scheme. By the 1870s the area around Mugdock reservoir had been landscaped for use as a public park, reflecting the pride the Water Board and general public took in this internationally-renowned engineering achievement. Within this area a number of residences were built to house the numerous employees who were responsible for the smooth-running of the system and maintenance of the grounds. The pride and care taken with the appearance of the site is evident in this quirky and well-detailed building.

Glasgow's Lord Provost, Robert Stewart (1810-66) was the driving force behind the implementation of a municipally-owned water scheme to provide clean water to Glasgow's rapidly increasing population. Loch Katrine was identified as a suitable supply and after some objections from various parties, an Act of Parliament authorising the scheme was passed in 1855. The scheme was built in two main phases following this Act and another of 1885. The 1855 scheme was opened by Queen Victoria in 1859 and was fully operational by 1860.

The Loch Katrine Water Works was admired internationally as an engineering marvel when it was opened in 1860. It was one of the most ambitious civil engineering schemes to have been undertaken in Europe since Antiquity, employing the most advanced surveying and construction techniques available, including the use of machine moulding and vertical casting technologies to produce the cast-iron pipes. The scheme represents the golden age of municipal activity in Scotland and not only provided Glasgow with fresh drinking water, thereby paving the way for a significant increase in hygiene and living standards, but also a source of hydraulic power that was indispensable to the growth of Glasgow's industry as a cheap and clean means of lifting and moving heavy plant in docks, shipyards and warehouses. The civic pride in this achievement is visible in every structure connected with the scheme, and this well-detailed cottage is one of many expressions of this.

Listed as part of the thematic review of Glasgow's water supply system (2008).

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.