This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.6038 / 55°36'13"N
Longitude: -4.5028 / 4°30'9"W
OS Eastings: 242426
OS Northings: 637306
OS Grid: NS424373
Mapcode National: GBR 3G.N3G8
Mapcode Global: WH3Q9.TD0X
Plus Code: 9C7QJF3W+GV
Entry Name: Howard Park House, Howard Park, Howard Park Drive, Kilmarnock
Listing Name: Howard Park, Park Keeper's House
Listing Date: 1 August 2002
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 396199
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48733
Building Class: Cultural
County: East Ayrshire
Electoral Ward: Kilmarnock West and Crosshouse
Traditional County: Ayrshire
Andrew McGregor, builder, early 20th century; later additions. Single store, regularly fenestrated L-plan Park Keeper's dwelling house. Pared down Arts and Crafts style. Red brick with half-timbering to gables. Heavy plain painted bargeboards.
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: later railed ramp leading to door in canted 3-sided re-entrant angle porch; small squared window to left; half-timbered gable end to right: 3-light canted bay window supporting cyma reversa bracketed load bearing beam, semi-harled and painted half-timbered gable with heavy plain barge boards surmounting.
E ELEVATION: window to left with security shutter; single storey extension to centre: central window, paired timber gates adjoined at right angle to left.
N (REAR) ELEVATION: later brick additions, concealed behind high hedges.
W ELEVATION: regular fenestration to left, half-timbered gable end to right: 3-light canted bay window supporting cyma reversa bracketed load bearing beam, semi-harled and painted half-timbered gable with heavy plain barge boards surmounting.
Original glazing plan concealed behind modern metal security blinds, housed within metal boxes. Entrance door similarly treated. Piended red tile roof with matching terracotta ridge tiles. Overhanging half-timbered piended gables with painted harled sections. Replacement rainwater goods. Tall square red brick moulded stack with projecting neck cope and single can.
INTERIOR: not seen, 2001.
B Group with Howard Park Gates, Cholera Monument, Dr Marshall Memorial and Old Men's Hut. The park was formerly part of the grounds of Kilmarnock House. Lord Howard de Walden gave the land to the town in 1894. The Park Keeper's House was built as part of the improvements to Barbadoes Green, which were supported by the Dowager Lady Howard De Walden. Following the changes, the name was changed to Howard Park. The park provided recreation facilities for the town, with it becoming a popular venue for sports such as football and bowling. The area was landscaped and trees and walks were laid out. The raised tree lined walk was known as the Lady's Walk. This is where Lady Kilmarnock walked alone after the execution of her husband, the Duke of Kilmarnock, in 1746 for his part in the Jacobite uprising at Culloden. Originally this path followed the line of the river which was re-routed using soil and rocks from the foundations of Riccarton Church. The park catered well for visitors. It housed an Old Man's Hut, Bowling Green and Clubhouse, drinking fountain and bandstand as well as the walks and playing fields. Some of these structures still survive, but are not original. The bandstand was lost in 2001. Andrew McGregor, a local builder, drew up plans for a variety of structures in the park. The Old Man's Hut and Park Keeper's House are based on these, although built later.
Other nearby listed buildings