This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.6076 / 55°36'27"N
Longitude: -4.5015 / 4°30'5"W
OS Eastings: 242519
OS Northings: 637731
OS Grid: NS425377
Mapcode National: GBR 3G.MPS1
Mapcode Global: WH3Q9.T9LY
Plus Code: 9C7QJF5X+39
Entry Name: 16 Portland Road, Kilmarnock
Listing Name: 10 - 16 (Even Nos) Portland Road
Listing Date: 1 August 2002
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 396253
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48769
Building Class: Cultural
County: East Ayrshire
Electoral Ward: Kilmarnock West and Crosshouse
Traditional County: Ayrshire
Mid 19th century. Terrace of 2 pairs of attached 2-storey, 2-bay L-plan plain classical houses. Coursed ashlar, harled and painted. Giant angle pilasters and heavy architraved eaves course to each pair. Projecting base course and moulded window margins.
N (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATIONS: No 10 & 12: paired doors to centre, architraved surrounds and bracketed canopies terminating in stepped plaques; single window with architraved surround and projecting lintel to flanks; 4 regularly placed bays to 1st floor; moulded eaves course projecting E beyond line of building. No. 12 & 14: as No 10 & 12 but moulded eaves course projecting W beyond line of building into No16.
E ELEVATION: adjoining rest of terrace to both storeys, blind gable to left return of No.10
S (REAR) ELEVATION: not seen, 2001
W ELEVATION: adjoining No 16 Portland Road.
Later 2-pane timber sash and case windows to Nos. 12 and 14; replacement PVCu 2-pane windows to Nos. 10 and 14. Piended grey slate roof with lead flashings to all houses. Low yellow brick stacks with 5 low plain cans to end gables and 8 low plain terracotta cans to central stack. Concealed rainwater goods to N elevation.
INTERIOR: retaining some original timber internal features, i.e. skirting boards and doors. Some ground floors in use as business premises.
Named after the Duke of Portland, this road contained part of the route for the original tramline between Kilmarnock and Troon. The terminus was in road's E area where it joins the present St Marnock Street and the line passed where Nos. 6 & 8 Portland Road now stand. Originally, St Marnock Street stretched from King Street to the Railway Bridge at Irvine Road until part of it was renamed Portland Road. This particular terrace was a planned block in the development of the road, which was opened up properly between 1855 and 1870. This early terrace was built some time between the 1849 map of the Duke of Portland's property being printed and the 1857 Ordnance Survey map of the same area. Until this point there were few houses, the route being primarily rural leading to large country villas and farms. The terrace is now used for commercial and business purposes, as well as residential use.
Other nearby listed buildings