This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.6078 / 55°36'28"N
Longitude: -4.5022 / 4°30'7"W
OS Eastings: 242476
OS Northings: 637750
OS Grid: NS424377
Mapcode National: GBR 3G.MPML
Mapcode Global: WH3Q9.T98V
Plus Code: 9C7QJF5X+44
Entry Name: 26 Portland Road, Kilmarnock
Listing Name: 26 Portland Road
Listing Date: 1 August 2002
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 396258
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48772
Building Class: Cultural
County: East Ayrshire
Electoral Ward: Kilmarnock West and Crosshouse
Traditional County: Ayrshire
Circa 1855. Detached 2-storey, 3-bay plain rectangular classical villa. Coursed ashlar, harled and painted. Heavy projecting architraved eaves course. Projecting base course and moulded widow margins. Skew gabled with plain skews and squared putts.
N (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: central door with pilastered surround supporting squared pediment with projecting cope, window with architraved margins flanking door; 3 regularly placed bays to 1st floor; moulded eaves course projecting to E & W beyond line of building.
E ELEVATION: to extreme right architraved door surround shared with No 24 concealing service passageway, blind to rest of elevation broken at attic level by gutter.
S (REAR) ELEVATION: not seen, 2001.
W ELEVATION: to extreme left of ground floor: later wall with vehicular access to rear of property, blind to rest of elevation.
Replacement 2-pane PVCu double glazed windows to front elevation. Piended grey slate roof with lead ridging and flashings. To E brick gablehead stack with 3 tall ornate cans, stack to W missing.
INTERIOR: retaining some original timber feature, i.e. skirting boards and doors. Now in use as business premises.
Named after the Duke of Portland, this road contained part of the route for the original "tram road" between Kilmarnock and Troon. The terminus was at the E end of the Road where it joins the present St Marnock Street and the line passed where Nos. 6 & 8 Portland Road now stand. Originally, St Marnock Street stretched from King Street to the Railway Bridge at Irvine Road until part of it was re-named Portland Road. This house is stylistically similar to the terrace and paired semi-detached houses adjacent and was part of planned housing in the development of Portland Road, which was opened up properly between 1855 and 1870. These early buildings were constructed sometime between the 1849 map of the Duke of Portland's property being printed and the 1857 Ordnance Survey map of the same area. Until this point there were few houses, the route being primarily rural leading to large country villas or farms. This house, like many of the larger properties on Portland Road, now houses business premises.
Other nearby listed buildings