This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.867 / 55°52'1"N
Longitude: -4.2801 / 4°16'48"W
OS Eastings: 257412
OS Northings: 666111
OS Grid: NS574661
Mapcode National: GBR 0FJ.FL
Mapcode Global: WH3P2.7S3M
Plus Code: 9C7QVP89+RW
Entry Name: Public Convenience And Shelter, Kelvingrove Park, La Belle Place, Glasgow
Listing Name: La Belle Place, Kelvingrove Park Public Convenience and Shelter (Opposite Royal Terrace)
Listing Date: 12 August 2002
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 396309
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48833
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Anderston/City/Yorkhill
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
City Engineer, Office of Publc Works, Glasgow Council, erected and dated 1913. Single storey, red brick rectangular plan block with distinctive gambrel roof. Red ashlar cill band course. Segmental-headed openings.
W (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: mirrored 4-bay with 2 large round-arched doorways to centre (tripartite glazed openings), right door to boys' convenience, left to girls', flanked in outer bays by paired slender windows.
E (REAR) ELEVATION: irregular. 2 doorways to centre of different widths (left to tools store, right to men's convenience), flanked to right by 2 larger and 1 narrow window, and to outer left by single larger window.
N AND S ELEVATIONS: each with paired windows to centre, those to N narrower.
Grey slate gambrel roof with deep gable to apex and deep piended bellcast apron below. Louvred ventilators in gableheads and to swept dormer to rear. Red clay ridge tiles. Decorative water hoppers to principal elevation and to rear, that to front dated '1913'.
Designed to serve a playground area, with octagonal louvred fleche ventilator to centre of ridge, with bell-cast polygonal spire. No evidence on exterior of current roof of the fleche having been in place but possibly replaced later by gable end ventilators. The Park Superintendent planned 'improvements to the amenity of the park' as early as February 1912, notably for the playgrounds. Local residents complained at the proposal of this 'latrine' block in 1913.
Other nearby listed buildings