This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.6182 / 56°37'5"N
Longitude: -3.8578 / 3°51'28"W
OS Eastings: 286091
OS Northings: 748918
OS Grid: NN860489
Mapcode National: GBR JCV7.1L4
Mapcode Global: WH4LQ.QX48
Plus Code: 9C8RJ49R+7V
Entry Name: Aberfeldy Cottage Hospital, Old Crieff Road, Aberfeldy
Listing Name: Old Crieff Road, Aberfeldy Cottage Hospital Including Boundary Walls and Gatepiers
Listing Date: 5 August 2002
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 396338
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48860
Building Class: Cultural
County: Perth and Kinross
Electoral Ward: Highland
Traditional County: Perthshire
Dated 1909, extended to sides and rear. Single storey and attic, 10-bay Domestic style hospital with crowstepped gables. Whitewashed harl with yellow sandstone ashlar doorpiece. Base course.
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: roll-moulded, dated doorpiece (converted to window) with flanking narrow lights in bay to left of centre, window immediately to right and M-gable above with 2 square windows. Single window immediately to left and 2 tall lights to outer left each breaking eaves into dormerhead, 2 similar lights to right of centre flanking bipartite window and with further single outer windows. Modern door under flat-roofed extension angled to outer right.
12- and 18-pane glazing patterns in timber sash and case windows; multi-pane glazing pattern to casement windows at former door, and top-opening glazing to M-gable. Green slates. Coped harled stacks with cans. Ashlar-coped crowstepped skews. Cast-iron downpipes with decorative rainwater hopper to centre S.
BOUNDARY WALLS AND GATEPIERS: low saddleback-coped and stepped harled boundary walls with flat-coped square-section gatepiers.
Aberfeldy's original cottage hospital, known as 'The Home', opened in 1879 in Home Street. This building was erected on a site donated by the Marquis of Breadalbane and opened on 27th October, 1910. Benefactors of the hospital included Mr & Mrs Douglas, and Mackay says it was built "under the auspices of Sir Donald Currie of Garth". By the mid 1950s the hospital was still known locally as 'The Home'. Now (2001) run by 'Tayside Primary Care NHS Trust'.
Other nearby listed buildings