This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.9496 / 55°56'58"N
Longitude: -3.237 / 3°14'13"W
OS Eastings: 322849
OS Northings: 673642
OS Grid: NT228736
Mapcode National: GBR 8CG.TQ
Mapcode Global: WH6SL.7QTB
Plus Code: 9C7RWQX7+R6
Entry Name: 4 Succoth Place, Edinburgh
Listing Name: 4 Succoth Place, Including Boundary Wall
Listing Date: 18 September 2002
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 396434
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48916
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Corstorphine/Murrayfield
Traditional County: Midlothian
Alexander Macnaughtan, 1901; Hippolyte J Blanc, 1910, additional bedroom. 2-storey gabled villa with castellated bowed bay. Squared and snecked sandstone ashlar with polished dressings and long and short surrounds. Moulded timber canopied cornice at ground floor level of main block at right; cornice and castellated parapet to bowed bay at ground of advanced gabled bay at left. Eaves course; skews and ball-finialled skewputts.
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: recessed panelled timber door to angle of return to jamb, with moulded margins; window at right and canted bay to outer right; bipartite window at 1st floor to left and, with bold, moulded segmental pediment, dentilled and bracketted, to right; 5-light bowed bay to ground of gabled bay at left, corniced and castellated; tripartite window above, with large central light and stepped, moulded hood-mould; moulded segmental panel above central light; finialled skew-putts extend downwards to form engaged columns supported by pedestals level with hood-mould; horizontal moulding near apex of gable, raised at centre, with vertical moulding rising to ball finial.
2-pane timber sash and case glazing, with multi-pane upper sashes to 1st floor. Grey slate roof with red ridge tiles; coped ridge and wallhead stacks with cylindrical cans; cast-iron rainwater goods.
BOUNDARY WALLS: low, coped, squared and snecked sandstone boundary wall to street.
Distinctive, slightly querky suburban villa given Baronial feel by exaggerated use of heavy details such as castellation and ball finials. The building was by Alexander Macnaughtan of 18 Duke Street for the chemical manufacturer, Thomas Connell Smith. Hippolyte J Blanc carried out alterations in 1910, adding a bedroom above a billiard room. Succouth Place was once part of the Murrayfield Estate; Succouth Avenue is on the site of an original approach avenue to the house. The name Succoth came from an owner of the house Sir George Campbell of Succoth.
Other nearby listed buildings