This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.188 / 56°11'16"N
Longitude: -3.9582 / 3°57'29"W
OS Eastings: 278568
OS Northings: 701211
OS Grid: NN785012
Mapcode National: GBR 1B.G4QM
Mapcode Global: WH4NT.5QDK
Plus Code: 9C8R52QR+5P
Entry Name: St Mary's Cottage, St Mary's Church, Perth Road, Dunblane
Listing Name: Perth Road, St Mary's Cottage Including Boundary Wall
Listing Date: 17 October 2002
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 396480
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48962
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Dunblane and Bridge of Allan
Traditional County: Perthshire
Circa 1870. 2-storey, 3-bay, symmetrical, L-plan gabled manse with steeply pitched gables breaking eaves to outer bays. Squared and snecked whinstone with yellow sandstone ashlar margins. Base course, eaves course. Barge boarded, overhanging eaves with exposed rafters. Long and short quoins. Architraved windows with projecting cills, blind arrowslits to gableheads.
W (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: stone steps to central timber panelled door, letterbox fanlight; moulded architrave with projecting pediment. Small window to 1st floor centre. Symmetrical, slightly advanced, gabled bays flanking entrance, advanced canted bay to ground floor of left bay.
E (REAR) ELEVATION: blind gable end.
N (SIDE) ELEVATION: irregular fenestration, door to centre. 2-storey, advanced gabled bay to right with small, single storey, advanced gabled bay to left return.
S (GARDEN) ELEVATION: 4-bay. 2 bays to centre, 2 small windows to 2nd storey, single large window to 1st storey, right. Broad flanking, gabled bays; single storey advanced window bay to bay to left; glazed door to right of bay to right.
Predominantly, 12-pane, timber-framed, sash and case windows. Grey slates, lead flashing. Cast-iron rainwater goods. Coped gable stacks.
INTERIOR: not seen 2001.
BOUNDARY WALL: coped, rubble wall.
A good quality house, on a prominent town centre site. St Mary's Cottage was built as the Rectory for the Episcopal church by the first minister Henry Malcolm, an Englishman from Sevenoaks and graduate of St John's, Cambridge. It was paid for by the Stirlings of Keir, whose seat, Keir House lies immediately to the south east of Dunblane. Malcolm stayed at Dunblane until becoming Canon of Perth Cathedral in 1889. The size of St Mary's Cottage reflects the wealthy connections of Malcolm, who, besides the Stirlings of Keir, included his father-in-law Bishop Terrot of Edinburgh, Primus of the Episcopal Church in Scotland.
Other nearby listed buildings