This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.4376 / 56°26'15"N
Longitude: -2.9446 / 2°56'40"W
OS Eastings: 341853
OS Northings: 727673
OS Grid: NO418276
Mapcode National: GBR VL.B9ZG
Mapcode Global: WH7RJ.RG05
Plus Code: 9C8VC3Q4+35
Entry Name: 2-14 (Even Nos) Boat Brae
Listing Date: 27 November 2002
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 396536
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB49029
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Tay Bridgehead
Traditional County: Fife
Charles & Leslie Ower, circa 1878, possibly incorporating earlier building. Row of 7 single storey shops, bold, squat, decorative Italianate design. Door and shop window to each shop; pilastered doorpieces; shouldered and round-headed arches to doors and windows; moulded star detail. Cream painted ashlar; raised painted ashlar panels in sandy yellow colour. Base course, eaves course.
E (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: corner angle to N (Nos 2 and 4). 2 adjacent doors with flanking shop windows; moulded shouldered arches to all openings.
No 2 abuts former ferry terminal
building. Corniced paired pilasters flank doors; fluted base; foliate capitals. Stop-chamfered square-plan piers with cornice, base course and advanced star detail to right of No 2 and left of No 4. Large opening for No 6 and 8 with plain, stop-chamfered central pier; flanking doors set within and large flanking shop windows. Round-arched doorways to Nos 10 and 12 with central and flanking single pilasters. Adjacent shop windows with square-plan piers. Star detail to centre and above piers. No 14 to far left; round-arched doorway; single pilaster and shop window to right; 2 terminating pilasters to left.
S ELEVATION: exposed rubble to lower half of gable; painted ashlar above with raised panels in contrasting colour.
W ELEVATION: partially seen (2002). Exposed rubble to rear elevation. A number of windows and stacks.
2-leaf round-headed timber panelled doors to Nos 10, 12 and 14. Timber and glazed doors with margin glazing to Nos 6 and 8. Replacement timber door to No 4; timber panelled door to No 2. Large plate glass shop windows with shouldered arches to all but Nos 6 and 8. Some windows boarded; fixed window to No 4 with astragals. Fittings for window security covers remain to No 12. Plate glass in timber sash and case windows to rear (W).
Pitched roof; grey slates to rear; lead to E with antifixa at ridges; felt to W. 3 gablets to S; raised at centre with surmounting antifixa (some missing). Gablet above Nos 10, 12 and 14. Projecting eaves to all but W elevation.
INTERIOR: partially seen, 2002. Shouldered arched doors and glazed panels to inner shop doors. Corner fireplaces; cast-iron grates; timber mantels. Timber tongue and groove panelling above dado; cornice. Window blinds to some shop windows.
A-Group with Newport Ferry Pier, Boat Road Former Ferry Terminal and Milestone. In 1878, C & L Ower (large architectural practice from Dundee) converted an existing boatshed, shop, waiting room and police station to create 7 shops including a butchers, tobacconists, police station, library, clothier and grocery and bakery.
Italianate in design with an almost colonnaded facade to its principal elevations and a plain functional appearance to its seaward side. Presumably, the adjacent ferry terminal building was built as a replacement at this time. These buildings sit in the area that was once the hub of Newport village. Newport began as the southern end of a successful ferry service across the Firth of Tay to Dundee and was once called New Dundee (for further information see Newport Ferry Pier listing).
The ferry service was superseded by a rail and road bridge, thus shifting the emphasis of Newport away from this area to its High Street. This building is currently empty (2002).
Other nearby listed buildings