This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.9461 / 55°56'45"N
Longitude: -3.1357 / 3°8'8"W
OS Eastings: 329170
OS Northings: 673140
OS Grid: NT291731
Mapcode National: GBR 2B.YHHD
Mapcode Global: WH6SM.TT01
Plus Code: 9C7RWVW7+CP
Entry Name: 31-33 Duddingston Mills, Edinburgh
Listing Name: 31-33 (Inclusive Numbers) Duddingston Mills
Listing Date: 19 December 2002
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 396549
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB49041
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Craigentinny/Duddingston
Traditional County: Midlothian
T G Leadbetter, J M Fairley and R S Reid. 1914. 2-storey, 4-bay tenement of 3 flats. L-plan. Harled. Forestair to upper flats; crow-stepped gables, gablet-heads to dormers and doors to upper flats. Advanced gabled wing to W end of NW (principal) elevation.
NW (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: eliptical arched opening under forestair, forming porch to ground-floor flat. Flanked by 2 small windows to the left and one to right, all under forestair. Two gablet-headed doors to centre of 1st floor; gablet-headed dormer to left. Advanced wing: sash and case window to centre of each storey.
SE ELEVATION (REAR): irregular fenestration to ground floor; modern extension to right. Central gablet-headed dormer to centre 1st floor; flanked by paired windows under forward-facing crow-stepped gables.
SW ELEVATION: gable-end rising to chimney stack; sash and case window to each storey (off-centre). Single gablet-headed dormer to 1st floor of wing.
Predominantly 12-pane sash and case windows. Original semi-glazed door to no 31. Modern doors to other flats. Graded grey slates; plain stacks; cylindrical cans.
Plans in the City of Edinburgh Dean of Guild show the tenement to be part of a larger redevelopment undertaken by the Duddingston estate in 1914 when plans had been approved to widen Willowbrae Road at the Duddingston Road Crossroads. An existing row of cottages, situated slightly in front of the forge were knocked down, and the forge, Mayfield house and this tenement were built to replace them. The drawings for all of the above, as well as a gatelodge/gardeners cottage diagonally opposite were submitted as a single application to the Dean of Guild in April 1914.
Other nearby listed buildings