This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.0463 / 56°2'46"N
Longitude: -4.3716 / 4°22'17"W
OS Eastings: 252376
OS Northings: 686256
OS Grid: NS523862
Mapcode National: GBR 0V.R1WR
Mapcode Global: WH3N7.T9H4
Plus Code: 9C8Q2JWH+G9
Entry Name: Killearn, 15 Balfron Road (Seaton), Former Free Church Manse Including Boundary Wall and Gatepiers
Listing Date: 14 February 2003
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 396650
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB49095
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Forth and Endrick
Traditional County: Stirlingshire
1848. 2 storey, 3-bay, T-plan former Free Church manse with single storey, single bay outbuilding attached to N; extended to form L-plan, 1996. Coursed and snecked red sandstone rubble with droved yellow sandstone ashlar dressings; stone cills; base course; chamfered vertical margins and quoins at arrises to main block. Shallow block pediment to door; hoodmoulded windows to S and E; overhanging bracketed eaves; gabled breaking eaves dormers.
E (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: central timber panelled door, border-glazed fanlight, plain chamfered architrave, bracketed block pediment. Advanced gabled bay to left; hoodmoulded ground floor window; identical 1st floor window above.
Ground floor window to right hand bay with hoodmould, small window to right of entrance (inserted later). 2 gabled breaking eaves dormers centred above entrance and right hand bay. 1996 extension to original single storey, single bay outbuilding forming garage to far right; Velux window.
N ELEVATION: plain gable and wallhead to single-storey extension (1996).
W (REAR) ELEVATION: 2-leaf glazed timber door and rectangular fanlight inserted (1996) between central and left hand bays. Ground floor window to left; 1st floor gabled breaking eaves dormer above. Small ground floor window to right of entrance; large stair window to central bay. Advanced gabled bay to right; ground floor window; identical 1st floor window above. Central Veulux rooflight; cast-iron rooflight. Single storey outbuilding range adjoins to far left: original single bay with timber boarded and glazed door adjoining main block; door and window leading to garage extension (1996) ; conservatory wing at right angle (1996).
S ELEVATION: 3-bay. Central gabled breaking eaves dormer; ground floor windows to outer bays with hoodmoulds.
Predominantly 14-pane timber sash and case windows with lying pane glazing. Pitched roofs; grey slates; coped and banded stack to central ridge and N gable; small coped stack to original single storey outbuilding to N (where it joins 1996 garage extension); circular clay cans.
INTERIOR: original layout mostly intact. Replacement tiles to vestibule; original plain timber pilastered chimneypiece to E sitting room; stone staircase to rear of plan with decorative cast-iron balusters and mahogany handrail.
BOUNDARY WALL AND GATEPIERS: low coped coursed red sandstone rubble boundary wall to E; obelisk gatepiers to NE.
A handsome intact mid 19th century Free Church manse, sympathetically restored and its outbuilding extended in 1996. It was built following the Disruption of 1843 when a split within the established Church of Scotland resulted in the establishment of the Free Church located directly to the S of the manse. Ground was made available, free of feu, by the Buchanans of Carbeth, who also gave financial assistance for the erection of the Free Church and Manse. It appears as Free Church Manse on the 1865 OS map. This house functioned as the Church of Scotland manse until it was sold by the General Trustees circa 1993.
Other nearby listed buildings