This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.0143 / 56°0'51"N
Longitude: -3.3935 / 3°23'36"W
OS Eastings: 313219
OS Northings: 681031
OS Grid: NT132810
Mapcode National: GBR 20.T5L0
Mapcode Global: WH6S9.V365
Plus Code: 9C8R2J74+PH
Entry Name: Ierne, Ferryhill Road, North Queensferry
Listing Name: North Queensferry, 17 Ferryhills Road, Ierne
Listing Date: 27 March 2003
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 396744
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB49172
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Inverkeithing and Dalgety Bay
Traditional County: Fife
John Alexander Carfrae, circa 1907. 2-storey, 3-bay Arts and Crafts rectangular-plan house. Rendered; stone cills; ashlar dormer heads. Mansard gable and dormers; long square windows to ground floor; bellcast canted window to 1st floor. Panelled drawing room is of note (see Notes).
E (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: central timber panelled door with 2 small heart-shaped lights; flanking square windows (3-lights to vestibule left, 4-lights to dining room right). 4-light square window to drawing room set back to far left. Mansard gable with 3-light bellcast canted window to 1st floor right; 2 breaking eaves mansard-shaped dormers to left. Single-storey modern flat-roofed extension to right (former surgery).
N ELEVATION: single-storey modern flat-roofed extension to left (former surgery).
W (REAR) ELEVATION: central lean-to timber entrance porch with 2 windows, door to right return; window to left; small window to right; tripartite window to far right. 1st floor window set in mansard gable; 2 shallow lead-roofed dormer windows to right.
S ELEVATION: wide squared and splayed shaped gable; ground floor window to right; 2 bipartite 1st floor windows.
Predominantly 6-pane sash and case and casement windows with horns (some lower sash glazing bars removed and double glazing inserted into original timber frames). Mansard and platformed roof; grey slates; flat-headed ashlar skews; coped rendered S gablehead stack; circular clay cans.
INTERIOR: vestibule: oak-panelled. Drawing room: original African oak panelling (with some English oak replacement panels) to picture rail height; neo-Renaissance oak chimneypiece; yellow earthenware tile surround inset with tiles of Chinese figures; plasterwork relief of Tree of Life above fireplace; moulded cyma recta cornice. Dining room: original fireplace with slender oak chimneypiece, turquoise tile surround inset with 4 yellow-ground pink chrysanthemum tiles. Attenuated brass door furniture to vestibule and principal rooms.
This house was built for the Grant family of publishers circa 1907 and was provided with a fine drawing room interior which remains as it was originally designed. According to the present owner, this interior was designed with the input of an interior designer - a profession that was newly emerging at the turn of the 20th century. An article promoting the house's good design appeared in the Lady Magazine of 1911 (reference not found). Early photographs were taken prior to the Grants leaving the house in 1917 and can be viewed at the NMRS. Edinburgh architect, John Carfrae (1868-1947), specialised in schools and some of his most significant were Leith Academy Annexe (1903), Boroughmuir School (1911) and Tolcross School (1911).
Other nearby listed buildings