This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.5867 / 55°35'11"N
Longitude: -3.1168 / 3°7'0"W
OS Eastings: 329705
OS Northings: 633123
OS Grid: NT297331
Mapcode National: GBR 63PV.05
Mapcode Global: WH6VD.3V32
Plus Code: 9C7RHVPM+M7
Entry Name: K6 Telephone Kiosk, The Glen
Listing Name: The Glen, K6 Telephone Kiosk
Listing Date: 12 August 2003
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 396887
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB49384
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: Tweeddale East
Traditional County: Peeblesshire
Sir Giles Gilbert Scott, 1935; produced 1936-1968. Standard K6 telephone kiosk comprising 3 sides of lying-pane glazing (8 high) with narrow margin lights (one glazed side with cup handle aligned with 4th/5th pane forming door) and a blind cast-iron panel to rear holding telephone and shelf. Rectangular glass opal with TELEPHONE in black lettering to each side with vent below and central embossed crown surmounting; rising into 4 segmental-headed pediments terminating in a saucer dome. Cast-iron, painted Post Office red.
Part of an A-Group with all other Glen estate buildings. The K6 is also known as the Jubilee Kiosk, commemorating the Silver Jubilee of King George V. It was at this time the GPO set up a committee to redesign the telephone kiosk for mass production, with a Jubilee Concession Scheme providing one kiosk for each village with a Post Office. Scott was asked to design the new kiosk in March 1935, and after approval by the Royal Fine Art Commission, the K6 went into production in 1936. The new K6 was constructed from cast-iron and painted Post Office red (in 1924 the same commission had decided on the colour red for the kiosk, as it was "easy to spot and gave an authoritative and official character."). It stands 8 feet 3 inches tall and weighs 13? hundredweight. The new box was based on Scott?s 1924 K2 kiosk which had been classical in character with small pane glazing, a reeded Grecian surround and a Soanian dome (believed to have been inspired by that on Sir John Soane's tomb or the lantern above the mausoleum at the Dulwich Picture Gallery). Aware of new architectural trends, Scott applied a modernistic style to his older box. The Grecian fluting was removed but the Soanian dome remained, as did the curved corners (which added strength to the cast-iron panels, now designed to be bolted together and erected in a day). The most noticeable change was the glazing; the horizontal bars were moved side ways to create a broad central light with narrow margin lights. This was to improve visibility and resemble 'moderne' architecture. The design of the box was so popular, it remained in production until 1968 when it was superseded by the K8 by Bruce Martin (the K7, by Neville Conder, was never widely used). This telephone box is sited within the policies of The Glen estate to the east of Anvil and Sawmill Cottages. Although the estate was primarily for the Tennant family, there was a community of workers employed in the house, stables, gardens and grounds and at the farm (other estate buildings listed separately). This public phone was for their use. Listed as a good example of a K6 telephone kiosk in a fine rural location.
Other nearby listed buildings