This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.1262 / 56°7'34"N
Longitude: -3.7838 / 3°47'1"W
OS Eastings: 289210
OS Northings: 694040
OS Grid: NS892940
Mapcode National: GBR 1K.L1WJ
Mapcode Global: WH5QD.V8CX
Plus Code: 9C8R46G8+FF
Entry Name: Sauchie Public Hall, Fairfield Road, Sauchie, Alloa
Listing Name: Sauchie, Fairfield Road (At Corner of Mar Place), Sauchie Public Hall Including Boundary Wall to South and East
Listing Date: 3 November 2003
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 397077
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB49530
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Clackmannanshire Central
Traditional County: Clackmannanshire
William Kerr, dated 1911; extended 1925; with later 20th century additions to rear. Single storey and attic, irregular-plan Arts and Crafts public hall. Rendered; sandstone ashlar dressings to principal elevations (to Fairfield Road and Mar Place). Red tiled roof; swept overhanging eaves; prominent multi-paned canted windows; shaped gable to entrance porch to S.
S (FAIRFIELD ROAD) ELEVATION: near central entrance porch with shaped gable, scrolled skewputts, urn finial; decorated plaque to gable inscribed and dated: 'SAUCHIE PUBLIC HALL 1911' with embossed lettering, part-glazed 2-leaf replacement timber doors set back. Ogee-roofed, square-plan ventilator to right of porch at ridge. 2-bay projecting section to left (outer left bay part of 1925 extension) with 2 large 30-light piended timber-mullioned and -transomed windows. Former recessed section to outer right now fronted by flat-roofed extension with door off-centre left, 2 windows to right, window to right return.
E (MAR PLACE) ELEVATION: round-arched entrance off-centre left; recessed 2-leaf replacement timber door with fanlight. Projecting bay to outer left with large 30-light piended timber-mullioned and -transomed window; 2 windows (one narrow, one wide) set back to right. 6-bay section to right; bays separated by tapered buttresses; breaking eaves timber-mullioned and -transomed 6-light dormers with lean-to roof to alternate bays; timber-mullioned and -transomed 4-light windows in between; entrance (probably inserted later) with flat cantilevered concrete canopy and uPVC door to outer right-hand bay. W (REAR) ELEVATION: projecting 3-bay section (part of 1925 extension) to outer right; central breaking-eaves timber-mullioned and -transomed 6-light window; timber-mullioned 3-light window to right; wide door to left; large 30-light piended, timber-mullioned and -transomed window and basement entrance to left return. 2-bay section (part of original building) set back to left. Polygonal stairtower with octagonal roof adjoining to left. Projecting 2-storey piended bay (part of 1925 additions) to left of tower. Later 20th century further left incorporating projecting 4-bay section with vertically banded windows to ground floor and attic to each bay; 4-light window (largely blocked) set back to ground floor to outer left; large window above. Later flat-roofed extension to far right.
N ELEVATION: 2-bay section to left; window and narrow window (towards centre) to each bay; flat-headed timber-mullioned tripartite dormer centred above. Later 20th century section projects to outer right; vertically banded ground and attic window to left. Pyramidal and bellcast roofed, square-planned ventilator to roof ridge at centre.
Timber casements with multi-paned leaded lights to large oriel windows and parts of original/early sections; uPVC replacement windows to most of E elevation. Red tiled piended roofs (double pitched gambrel roof to N end of original block); flat-roofed later additions. Corniced mid-pitch stack to W; circular clay cans.
INTERIOR: retains original groin-vaulted entrance lobby (set back with main entrance); doors set into glazed round arched screens. Entrance lobby with green glazed tiled dado surmounted by glazed screens at E entrance; main hall with segmental-arched ceiling (divided into panels by foliate plaster work); original stage with timber panelling to rear with central keystoned doorway and moulded timber architrave, fanlight with decorative leaded glazing above; panelled timber doors with leaded glazed upper panels flanking stage.
BOUNDARY WALL: low sandstone rubble wall to S and E. Low circular-plan gatepiers to entrances.
Set on a prominent corner site, Sauchie Public Hall is an important building by a notable local architect. The multi-paned bay windows, steep overhanging pitched roofs and shaped entrance gable to the original section of the building are distinctive and are indeed hallmarks of William Kerr's (1866-1940) designs. Kerr was also responsible for the offices at Kilncraigs Mills, Alloa (1904), Cochrane Hotel, Alva (1929) and the Town Council Gas Undertaking Offices, Alloa (1935-1938) (see separate listings). Of similar design to the hall is Kerr's Miners' Welfare Institute, Fishcross (1930). See separate list description for the adjacent War Memorial.
Other nearby listed buildings