This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.9096 / 55°54'34"N
Longitude: -3.2528 / 3°15'10"W
OS Eastings: 321778
OS Northings: 669204
OS Grid: NT217692
Mapcode National: GBR 88Y.L2
Mapcode Global: WH6SS.0Q9J
Entry Name: Colinton Road, Merchiston Castle School, Walled Garden and Store
Listing Date: 19 November 2003
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 397110
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB49556
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Colinton/Fairmilehead
Traditional County: Midlothian
John Fraser, laid out by William Forsyth. 1801-2. Rectangular walled garden with pedestrian and vehicular accesses. Plain red brick with partial rubble walls. Ashlar copes, corner quoins and door surrounds. Single storey rectangular garden store. Coursed rubble with ashlar quoins and eaves course.
NW (FORMER PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: high plain brick wall with stepped ashlar copes and quoins, plain ashlar door surrounds with later timber door to flanks of previously altered centrally placed single storey structure (now rifle range).
NE (PRESENT PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: high plain brick wall with ashlar copes and quoins with large central vehicular access and garden house abutting wall to right.
SE ELEVATION: brick hot wall with central plain ashlar door surround and later timber door, ashlar copes and corner quoins; numerous iron nails to exterior for supporting espalier fruit trees
SW ELEVATION: high plain brick wall with ashlar copes and quoins; centrally placed door with ashlar surround and later timber planked door.
INTERIOR: brick walls enclosing a now grassed area with football pitch and flower beds. Original features, such as hothouses, now removed, replaced by 1930 sanatorium (now Pringle House).
GARDEN STORE: SW (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: central ashlar door surround with droved margins and panelled timber door.
SE ELEVATION: blind rubble wall with remains of lowered central ashlar wall head stack.
NE (REAR) ELEVATION: central tripartite window with ashlar sills, lintels and mullions.
NW ELEVATION: symmetrically placed pair of windows with ashlar surrounds and slightly projecting sills.
INTERIOR: not seen, 2002 but in use as store.
12-pane timber sash and case windows to tripartite in NE elevation with 2-pane timber sash and case windows to NW elevation. Piended grey slate roof with replacement aluminium flashing. Overhanging roof replacing need for rainwater goods. Single ashlar stack to SW lowered with cans missing.
B-Group with Colinton Castle, Dovecot, Ha-Ha, Gibson House (formerly Colinton House), Stables, House at Walled Garden, Main School Building, Chalmers and Rogerson Houses, Headmaster's House, South Lodge, Gatepiers and Boundary wall. The walled garden was built at the same time as Colinton House, stables and Garden House. The builder was John Fraser, the mason used to construct Colinton House. The design and internal layout was supervised by William Forsyth, a nurseryman from London. He also designed the hot houses, which no longer survive. A vinery was built by Samuel Butler, also of London, and other features were provided by John Young, of which nothing survives. The principal elevation originally had a series of centrally placed hot houses running along either side of the wall, flanking the entrance. The NE wall still has the purpose built gardener's house attached to the exterior of the elevation. The garden store is to the North, nearby. To the SE of the garden, an arboretum stood on the site of the more recently constructed street named Broomyknowe. To the NW of the garden there are two earlier gardens surrounded by holly hedges that related to the landscape of Colinton Castle. The interior landscape of the walled garden has been lost, and since replaced by the school sanatorium and Pringle house, designed by Walker Todd in 1930. The garden and store remain good examples of planned estate architecture.
Other nearby listed buildings