This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.9105 / 55°54'37"N
Longitude: -3.2547 / 3°15'16"W
OS Eastings: 321664
OS Northings: 669315
OS Grid: NT216693
Mapcode National: GBR 88X.7Q
Mapcode Global: WH6SR.ZP9S
Entry Name: Colinton Road, Merchiston Castle School, Ha-Ha and Steps Leading to Colinton Castle
Listing Date: 19 November 2003
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 397111
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB49557
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Colinton/Fairmilehead
Traditional County: Midlothian
Late 18th century. High wall forming inset ha-ha with integral flight of steps with stone wing walls. Squared, coursed sandstone walls with smooth ashlar copes.
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: high wall with flat stone copes set into terraced bank with trees and flower garden above. Central flight of 10 steps with stone risers and treads leading across garden to Colinton Castle.
B-Group with Colinton Castle, Dovecot, Gibson House (formerly Colinton House), Stables, House at Walled Garden, Walled Garden, Garden Store, Main School Building, Chalmers and Rogerson Houses, Headmaster's House, South Lodge, Gatepiers and Boundary wall. The ha-ha and steps are likely to be linked to Colinton Castle, which lies directly to the north of the structures. They provide access to what were once the formal gardens and avenue of the Castle. Originally the castle was the main building within the estate until it was partially demolished in the early 19th century to provide a picturesque ruin for the newly constructed Colinton House. The ha-ha provides the NW boundary to a garden once contained within high holly hedges (mentioned in the New Statistical Account) and believed to have been originally laid out in 1683. A selection of specimen trees were also planted, creating an avenue enclosing a broad walk, this in turn leading to the 2 shrubbery gardens and kitchen garden. The ha-ha and steps now lead to the ruins of the castle and the garden serving the 1929 Headmaster's House (both listed separately).
Other nearby listed buildings