This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.1848 / 57°11'5"N
Longitude: -3.1126 / 3°6'45"W
OS Eastings: 332848
OS Northings: 810989
OS Grid: NJ328109
Mapcode National: GBR WC.175C
Mapcode Global: WH6LN.5N3Y
Plus Code: 9C9R5VMP+WX
Entry Name: Dovecote Cottage, Inverernan Estate
Listing Name: Inverernan Estate, Dovecot Cottage
Listing Date: 25 November 2003
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 397154
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB49581
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Aboyne, Upper Deeside and Donside
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
Earlier to mid 19th century, altered 2004. Unusual single storey, 6-bay, rectangular-plan, composite former dovecot and kennel range converted to dwelling, sited to NW of Inverernan House close to Inverernan Cottages. Shaped Tudor gable incorporating bracketed alighting ledge surmounted by round headed pigeon loft entrance with 2-tiered flight hole and fleur de lis gablehead finial. Coursed granite with granite ashlar dressings.
FURTHER DESCRIPTION: symmetrical entrance elevation to S with boarded timber doors to left of slightly advanced shaped gable and to outer right bay. Remaining bays with windows altered from doors.
4-pane glazing pattern in timber sash and case windows. Grey slates and stone ridge with small air vents. Gablet-coped skews to centre gable, flat-coped skews to outer gables, block skewputts.
Group with Inverernan House, Gates, Ice House, Stables and Walled Garden. Dovecot Cottage is a good example of elegant design, and the combination of dovecote and kennels reflects a well established pattern. A popular example of composite structures is the siting of an ice house beneath the dovecote, as at Bowbutts in Fife and at Murdostoun. Buxbaum says that 'Throughout the nineteenth century those pigeonhouses that were built were almost exclusively designed in association with farmyards or courts of offices'. This may be true of Inverernan as Dovecot Cottage is sited close to a large U-plan court of offices (now Inverernan Cottages) and ice house, sited a short distance to the west of the Inverernan House and stables. Some time during the 20th century the interior was completely altered when the building was converted for use as the estate power station. During the 19th century, Inverernan Estate belonged to the Forbes family who also owned Newe and Edinglassie. Situated near the banks of the River Don and Ernan Water, the house was reconstructed in 1828 and the dovecot was probably added at that time. Inverenan House, Stables and Gates are all listed separately.
Other nearby listed buildings