History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

South Lodge, Ury House

A Category C Listed Building in Stonehaven and Lower Deeside, Aberdeenshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 56.9721 / 56°58'19"N

Longitude: -2.225 / 2°13'30"W

OS Eastings: 386418

OS Northings: 786784

OS Grid: NO864867

Mapcode National: GBR XK.21BP

Mapcode Global: WH9RM.S0NY

Plus Code: 9C8VXQCF+RX

Entry Name: South Lodge, Ury House

Listing Name: Slug Road, South Lodge Including Boundary Walls and Gatepiers

Listing Date: 20 January 2004

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 397201

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB49616

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Fetteresso

County: Aberdeenshire

Electoral Ward: Stonehaven and Lower Deeside

Parish: Fetteresso

Traditional County: Kincardineshire

Find accommodation in


Probably John Baird of Glasgow, 1855, extended to rear and altered internally 2003. Single storey and attic, 3-bay gabled Tudor lodge. Stugged ashlar, squared rubble and cement render. Base and eaves courses. Basket-arched doorway; quatrefoil opening. Hoodmoulds with label stops, stone mullions, moulded arrises and raked cills.

S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: modern timber door to centre bay, slightly advanced gabled bay to left with bipartite window and glazed quatrefoil in gablehead, larger projecting gable at right with stone-roofed canted window giving way to arrowslit in gablehead.

W (SLUG ROAD) ELEVATION: gabled elevation with bipartite window below arrowslit.

E ELEVATION: plain gabled elevation with low extension at outer right.

Modern small-pane timber sash and case double glazing. Grey slates. Tall coped and shouldered polygonal gablehead and ridge stacks. Gablet coped ashlar skews and skewputts; stone finials.

INTERIOR: modern but retaining winding timber staircase.

QUADRANT BOUNDARY WALLS AND GATEPIERS: coped ashlar dwarf quadrant boundary walls (railings missing) and polygonal ashlar gatepiers with faceted conical caps (see Notes).

Statement of Interest

Ownership of the boundary walls and gatepiers is split between South Lodge and New Lodge. Formerly the South Lodge for Ury House designed by John Baird of Glasgow for Alexander Baird who took over the estate after the death of Robert Barclay-Allardice in 1854.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.