This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 56.9727 / 56°58'21"N
Longitude: -2.2179 / 2°13'4"W
OS Eastings: 386849
OS Northings: 786850
OS Grid: NO868868
Mapcode National: GBR XK.22Z6
Mapcode Global: WH9RM.X00H
Plus Code: 9C8VXQFJ+3R
Entry Name: St Kieran?S Well, Mineralwell Park
Listing Name: Mineralwell Park, St Kieran's Well
Listing Date: 23 March 2006
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 398247
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50263
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Stonehaven and Lower Deeside
Traditional County: Kincardineshire
Dated 1860, restored 1982. Rectangular-plan, pedimented structure enclosing mineral well sited beneath the Glenury Railway Viaduct. Pink and grey Peterhead granite. Base course, flat cope, triangular pediment and flanking fielded piers. E face with small circular basin below round-arched niche incorporating scallop shell; incised tablet in tympanum worded 'ST KIERAN'S WELL ERECTED BY PUBLIC SUBSCRIPTION AD 1860'. Small bronze plaque applied at right, worded 'RESTORED BY STONEHAVEN AND DISTRICT COMMUNITY COUNCIL MARCH 1982'.
This well is fed by water piped from an iron-rich chalybeate spring which issued from Fetteresso Glebe. Although the inscription states that the well was erected by public subscription, funds for both the well and nearby cottage (since demolished) were also provided by the railway company. The supply was restored in 1982 but has subsequently been severed. Erected on the site of the holy well of St Kieran (properly St Caron) patron saint of Fetteresso Parish, Eeks has this to say of the well 'By the side of the river is 'S Kiaran's Well,' a drinking fountain on the site of the old holy well of S Caran, the patron saint of the parish. By the way, S Kiaran, the patron of Cambeltown (sic) in Argyllshire and of S Keverne in Cornwall never had anything to do with Fetteresso'.
Other nearby listed buildings