History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Inverbeg Bridge

A Category C Listed Building in Luss, Argyll and Bute

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 56.1453 / 56°8'43"N

Longitude: -4.666 / 4°39'57"W

OS Eastings: 234469

OS Northings: 697939

OS Grid: NS344979

Mapcode National: GBR 0H.JV1J

Mapcode Global: WH2LD.9SCS

Plus Code: 9C8Q48WM+4J

Entry Name: Inverbeg Bridge

Listing Name: Inverbeg Bridge

Listing Date: 2 February 2004

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 397223

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB49637

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Luss

County: Argyll and Bute

Electoral Ward: Lomond North

Parish: Luss

Traditional County: Dunbartonshire

Find accommodation in


Roadbridge, built on the line of the military road to Inveraray, which dates from 1744-1750 (Gifford and Walker). 20th century datestone on western parapet inscribed 'Bridge built 1762/ ? widened 1914'. As part of the latter phase of work, the roadway was also set on a curve, with new ashlar parapets added.

Original bridge is a single-arch stone span with squared voussoirs, and steel ties added. 1914 work (which extends the roadway east, following the profile of the original arch) is concrete with ashlar facing and voussoirs. Parapets extend beyond archway in both directions and are topped by rounded coping stones. Gates and square-plan rubble gatepiers, enclosing the gallery as private space, added at north end, presumably when this bridge was by-passed and substituted by its (now demolished) pre- or early post-war successor further east.

Statement of Interest

Datestone also inscribed 'F C Buchanan Convenor of the County/ R E Findlay, Chairman, County Road Board/ Archibald Wilson, County Road Surveyor'. The road linking Inveraray and Dumbarton was built by the military in 1744-1749, to a line surveyed by Dugald Campbell and [-] Brereton, military engineers, largely (at least) under the supervision of Major William Caulfield, whose work was interrupted by the 1745-1746 Rising. The road's creation was a result of pressure by the 3rd Duke of Argyll (1682-1761), builder of Inveraray Castle, who inherited 1743, and for whose family well-known bridges (notably the Garron Bridge, by Roger Morris, begun 1744) built on and near this same stretch of roadway, served as estate bridges, designed by architects of his choosing (RCAHMS, 1992). Perhaps a temporary timber bridge existed at Inverbeg until 1762. The bridge crosses the Douglas Water which divides the two parishes of Luss and Arrochar.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.