This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.158 / 56°9'28"N
Longitude: -4.6436 / 4°38'37"W
OS Eastings: 235911
OS Northings: 699293
OS Grid: NS359992
Mapcode National: GBR 0J.J0S6
Mapcode Global: WH2LD.MHY2
Plus Code: 9C8Q5954+5H
Entry Name: Rowardennan Youth Hostel (Formerly Rowardennan Lodge), Rowardennan
Listing Name: Rowardennan, Rowardennan Youth Hostel (Formerly Rowardennan Lodge)
Listing Date: 4 May 2006
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 398506
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50463
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Forth and Endrick
Traditional County: Stirlingshire
Loch Lomond And Trossachs National Park Planning Authority
Rowardennan Youth Hostel is a complex plan single storey and attic 2-phase rubble building with numerous distinctively bargeboarded gables and a 2-stage round tower with a conical roof. It is situated in a large clearing on the banks of Loch Lomond, and was built in the mid 19th century as a shooting lodge; it was extended to the rear 1860-1863, a large set-back E wing was added in the later 19th century and in the 20th century a set-back single storey wing was added to the W. Rowardennan Youth Hostel has retained a distinct architectural character and is a strong example of a 19th century sporting lodge with added interest due to the 3 phases of development.
The first part of Rowardennan Lodge to be built was the projecting, central wing of the current building; this original structure was L-plan, and probably had an additional rear (N) wing. The 2-bay front elevation has a projecting gable to the right, with 2 square bays with broad bracketed eaves and fishscale slate roofs. There is also a similar bay to the W return gable. Both the gable bays have jettied eaves above purlin height, supported by spun barley-sugar posts which rest on the roofs of the bays below. The left bay of the S elevation has a round-headed gabled dormer with similar barley-sugar posts. The E return gable has a window (originally the entrance door) to ground floor and round-arched double window to first floor.
The extensions of 1860-63 appear to have involved either the complete rebuilding of the original rear wing or its extension by the addition of E and W gables (the E gable having the current entrance door) or further single storey service accommodation to the N. The later 19th century additions were mainly concerned with the formation of a L-plan E wing, the set back position and scale of which, compared with the earlier wing, indicates that it is likely to have provided less prestigious or service accommodation. Nevertheless, this wing was not intended to be entirely subservient; the 2-stage drum tower, corbelled from an octagonal base, was clearly intended to make a statement of quality. Otherwise, this phase of extension respects the character of the original section, with gabled bays and pitched dormers. To the W elevation, a further gabled bay was added to the N end, and this repeats the mid-19th century feature of ground floor bay (this time canted) with jettied eaves and barley-sugar posts above. The gables of all three phases feature particularly deep bracketed eaves, and distinctive bargeboards, with pierced trefoils to the most prominent gables, and ornate scalloped edges to most of the others. The windows, timber with thick moulded timber mullions, and small opening top casements, are also of consistent design across the three phases; their design suggest that all the windows were replaced during the final 19th century building phase, as sash and case windows would have been usual in the earlier 19th century.
The interior has undergone much alteration in the 20th century, but some ornate and moulded plasterwork remains on both floors; the 2 principal rooms and entrance corridor of the original lodge have been slapped through to create one large room, but their cornicing indicates the original layout. Timber dog-leg stair with turned balusters and carved newels and pendants; rear stair with cast-iron balusters.
Random light grey rubble whin with cream sandstone margins to 1st phase; snecked squared dark grey whin with red sandstone raised margins to 2nd phase; random dark grey whin rubble with tooled red sandstone margins and quoins, whin relieving arches above openings, to 3rd phase. Graded slate pitched roofs. Windows mainly timber with thick moulded timber mullions, and small opening top casements. Mostly cast-iron rainwater goods.
In 1860, Rowardennan Lodge was sold by I.A. McLeod Esq., for £797.19.3. pounds (S.R.O., GD220/6/42). In 1923, the Helensburgh Fire Brigade was called out to a fire at Rowardennan Lodge, which was then owned by Mr C.M.Collins. The fire caused £3000 pounds worth of damage (www.graeme.kirkwood4.btinternet.co.uk).
Other nearby listed buildings